shark attack odds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
Trick question... that toilet doesn't have a seat!
Your are correct!!
The toilet has been rendered safe by removal of seat!
But still poses a risk due to potential sharp edges.. kinda like those on the front of the shark :rofl3:

MSilvia:
I'd imagine a toilet seat would have come in handy right about then, eh? :eyebrow:

I would have been happy to have a toliet seat right about then, two would have been even better, as there were two sharks.

frank_delargy:
So let me see .. What poses the greatest risk to me. The toilet or the shark.. Hmm let me think about that.

Well, it its a toliet seat or that particular shark, probably the toliet seat. Sand Tigers look fightening, but they are not a particularly aggressive shark.

Peter_C:
Isn't it story time? You can't start telling it then quit

I'm sorry, I thought everyone had their fill of that story by now.

Walter:
Well, it its a toliet seat or that particular shark, probably the toliet seat. Sand Tigers look fightening, but they are not a particularly aggressive shark.
I have heard that about Tiger Sharks and that you are supposed to just let them come up to you and not do anything. I can't imagine actually being that calm in that situation.

how many divers are attacked by octopuses each year?

Walter:
There is a Big difference between a Tiger and a Sand Tiger. One is a Pit Bull on a bad day, the other a cheerful Lab.
I've heard tigers described as indiscriminate eating machines... if it's there, they'll take a bite to see if it's food. If it is, they'll finish eating it. Some sharks, like great whites, might attack because they mistook you for prey. Tigers might attack to find out if you are.

Sand tigers are pretty specialized eaters, and diver is not on the menu. If you get bit by a sand tiger, I'd be willing to bet you were asking for it. They have great snaggletoothed mouths though, so they make for a good "scary shark" photo opportunity.

Walter:
There is a Big difference between a Tiger and a Sand Tiger. One is a Pit Bull on a bad day, the other a cheerful Lab.
Good to know..
For now, I think I'll try to avoid both since I would hate to mistake one for the other!

Skeeter1097:
how many divers are attacked by octopuses each year?
That probably depends on whether you consider self-defense an attack. If you're wondering how many divers are just minding their own business while floating above the reef when suddenly a viscious octopus jumps out of nowhere and tries to strangle them... very few. There may be a number of people injured or killed annually by the odd blue-ringed octopus that was stepped on or prodded, or by some other octo upset about having been molested so some jerk could get a photo of his buddy wearing an octopus for a hat.

Back
Top Bottom