Shark Attacks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All shark lovers: It helps, maybe just a little bit, if we don't refer to these as "attacks." That has a connotation of aggression, which is not present. They're predators, looking for food. These are "incidents." Humans got in the way... If all of us made this small change as we discuss this issue, it will have a positive impact on others as they consider sharks, and how they feel about them.

my two cents, for your consideration.
kari

All shark lovers: It helps, maybe just a little bit, if we don't refer to these as "attacks." That has a connotation of aggression, which is not present. They're predators, looking for food. These are "incidents." Humans got in the way... If all of us made this small change as we discuss this issue, it will have a positive impact on others as they consider sharks, and how they feel about them.

my two cents, for your consideration.
kari

That is a little too soft for me. I get it, love the sharks and all, but incidents? I mean it really IS the definition of attack. Like 'I lost my arm in a shark related incident, but it wasn't an attack'. Doesn't roll off the tongue.

Aren't some sharks more aggressive than others, so some are aggressive or at least can be? Like most other tops of the food chain? Humans for instance....

Doesn't make the shark 'bad'; just a shark, doing what shark do, right? So have a healthy respect and all. I don't think mistaking what they are and what they can do will have a positive impact. I think it is more helpful to accept the idea of the circle of life and all that. They have their spot.

Course I could be wrong....

Maybe, but you're the choir. Think about how it's perceived in the big bad world, where most people don't know anywhere near as much about sharks as you do. THEY think that sharks are out to attack them. That's just not true. It's hard to get all warm and fuzzy for things that "attack humans."

Let's discuss over margs. (I don't drink margs, so you're going to have to come up with something else). Sound good?

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

Oh, and if we want to reduce the number of humans involved in these incidents, let's get the heck out of their territory. WE are the problem here, not the sharks. We look like a food source in an apex predator's world. This problem is super simple to solve.

They're just doing shark stuff. WE are the invaders, the problem. It seems the least we can do is avoid demonizing them.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

And one last point: If you read accounts (I'll try to find some) of people who HAVE been involved in shark "attacks" they often say much what you've stated above. "I lost my arm, but it wasn't the shark's fault."

Lets not focus on 'us' and the words chosen correctly or incorrectly. Remember, a shark didnt shimmy through my window and bite me, leaving me affraid of leaving my home. I chose to invest my time and money to drop into their world. In America, what would happen if I climbed through an open window un announced? Having the skills to understand these guys is everything. I have dove with white sharks and never dared to leave the cage, Ive witnessed others with my own eyes swim into open water and handle a white shark with confidence. Its a massive risk given the capability of that creature, but to simplify on a day to day level, its why some people who pet a strangers cute dog get bitten and other feel like they made a new friend! education is everything!!!

Maybe, but you're the choir. Think about how it's perceived in the big bad world, where most people don't know anywhere near as much about sharks as you do. THEY think that sharks are out to attack them. That's just not true. It's hard to get all warm and fuzzy for things that "attack humans."

Let's discuss over margs. (I don't drink margs, so you're going to have to come up with something else). Sound good?

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

Oh, and if we want to reduce the number of humans involved in these incidents, let's get the heck out of their territory. WE are the problem here, not the sharks. We look like a food source in an apex predator's world. This problem is super simple to solve.

They're just doing shark stuff. WE are the invaders, the problem. It seems the least we can do is avoid demonizing them.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

And one last point: If you read accounts (I'll try to find some) of people who HAVE been involved in shark "attacks" they often say much what you've stated above. "I lost my arm, but it wasn't the shark's fault."

Well now I agree with you TOTALLY. Other than the margarita part. Sharks do what sharks do. They are fascinating and a little scary. And while I don't think this applies to taxis, it does appear to apply to sharks: There isn't a right or wrong generally to animal behavior.

We tend to want to 'humanize' things and apply our motivations and reactions. Like halcyon's white shark trip. Or that guy that kissed a nurse shark. "Hey I made a friend..." can lead to trouble.

Speaking of sharks and Cozumel and in honor of shark week:

This was off in the distance a bit at Palancar, December 2011. Anyone want to hazard a make on it? Sighting that raised my air consumption a bit. But she was skiddy and skedaddled.

12072011 (11).jpg

I can see I admitted my problem in the wrong group. I broke up with tequila in 1985. I do make a mean mojito though... hope that we can still be friends.

I broke up with tequila in 1985.

Got pictures? I bet that was a heck of a night.... Of course you must have been like 12 at the time? Course all that snow and freezing cold in Canada, I guess you start on the tequila early. Maple syrup will only get you so far.

I meant 2005?

Well now I agree with you TOTALLY. Other than the margarita part. Sharks do what sharks do. They are fascinating and a little scary. And while I don't think this applies to taxis, it does appear to apply to sharks: There isn't a right or wrong generally to animal behavior.

We tend to want to 'humanize' things and apply our motivations and reactions. Like halcyon's white shark trip. Or that guy that kissed a nurse shark. "Hey I made a friend..." can lead to trouble.

Speaking of sharks and Cozumel and in honor of shark week:

This was off in the distance a bit at Palancar, December 2011. Anyone want to hazard a make on it? Sighting that raised my air consumption a bit. But she was skiddy and skedaddled.

View attachment 162949

Looks like a nurse shark. Go grab it's tail and go for a ride. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom