Shark Attacks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think "attack" has negative connotations that you don't perceive.

I think you perceive a negative connotation it doesn't have. :chuckle:

Like KB was on her way to Casa De Jefe with a bottle of Hornitos when a moped bandit tried to seize the bag with the tequila in it. KB attacked him with her flipflop until he let go, saving the tequila and making CVChief very happy.

Or CVChief and entourage stopped at Money on the way back from Caleta and attacked a plate of nachos like snapper on a lionfish carcass.

This is shaping up to be a 3 margarita discussion when I arrive.... :drunks:

Augustus, I found this newspaper archived article about the 1993 shark attack. The can click on the "how to search GSAF data" and access the Global Shark Attacks records. They are quite interesting.

THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS, June 15, 1993

June 15, 1993, Tuesday, HOME FINAL EDITION

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 1A

LENGTH: 861 words

HEADLINE: Allen woman dies in possible shark attack Body of youth corps
official found at Mexican resort after she disappeared during dive

BYLINE: Todd J. Gillman, Staff Writer of The Dallas Morning News

BODY:
Mary Eggemeyer, head of the Dallas Youth Services Corps, died in a possible
shark attack last week during a diving trip to Mexico.

Ms. Eggemeyer, 42, of Allen disappeared during a night dive Friday 200 meters
offshore at Cozumel, a resort island south of Cancun. Her mutilated body washed
onto a beach Saturday.

If confirmed as a shark attack, it would be the first at Cozumel since
record-keeping began this century. The area is popular with divers, and shark
sightings are rare.
"No one saw a shark. The only indication we have of a shark is the
nature of the wounds,' said Bryan Wilson, a spokesman for the Cozumel mayor.

"It's a real tragedy, and it's not anything that any of us ever imagined in
our worst nightmare,' said Hugh Robinson, chairman of the services corps, which
teaches job skills to young adults. "We will obviously continue on. We would
not do any less because that's what Mary would want.'

Ms. Eggemeyer was on the weeklong trip with six students and five parents and
teachers of the Winston School, where one of her three children was a student.
She is a former board member of the Dallas school, which serves 150 students
with dyslexia and attention-deficit disorder.

The trip was not officially sanctioned but has become an annual ritual, said
Rita Sherbenou, head of the Winston School. "We're a very close group of
people,' Dr. Sherbenou said. "It's so tragic. She was such a dynamic woman
that has given so much to the Dallas community.'

Ms. Eggemeyer and the others in her group, along with an American instructor
and a local guide, were making their second dive at a popular site known as
Santa Rosa Shallows, where divers descend to a sandy shelf.

The excursion started about 6 p.m. Friday. Ms. Eggemeyer disappeared in the
dark about 7:30 p.m.

"The dive plan was to go to a depth of 60 feet for 40 minutes,' Mr. Wilson
said.

Ms. Eggemeyer was the last diver to enter the water. By then, she had
drifted slightly past the ledge, where the sea floor drops off.

The American instructor reported that -- as he returned another wayward diver
to the boat -- he saw Ms. Eggemeyer swimming without difficulty back to the
ledge.

But within moments, Mr. Wilson said, "The local dive guide came to surface
saying he saw a dive light going over the ledge very fast.'

After a head count found Ms. Eggemeyer missing, eight vessels in the area
joined a search that continued until early the next morning.

"Mary was an experienced diver. She had been to Cozumel five times, and this
was her fourth dive on this trip,' Mr. Wilson said.

Her remains were found floating near a beach Saturday morning about 8:30, Mr.
Wilson said.

"Her body had been mutilated, both legs cut off at the buttocks area. The
left arm was missing, and there was severe damage to the abdominal cavity,' he
said.

The local coroner "believes that a large predator was involved.' Funeral
arrangements are pending an autopsy in Mexico.

It was "very likely' a shark, said George Burgess, a senior biologist at
the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville and director of the
International Shark Attack File, which documents shark attacks worldwide,
dating to the 1700s.

Mr. Burgess will be in Cozumel on Tuesday to help Mexican authorities.

Mayor German Garcia Padilla has ordered temporary suspension of night dives
but has not closed the beaches, Mr. Wilson said.

The Mexican navy and local dive operators have been patrolling a stretch of
beach on the west side of the island.
Along with police and sailors on shore, they are warning bathers to stay
within 50 meters of land.

The hunt involving five boats with experienced Mexican shark fishermen
aboard will center on the Santa Rosa Shallows.

"According to the experts, if he's fed there once, he'll probably come back
and feed there again,' Mr. Wilson said.

"Our intention is not to go out and start slaughtering sharks wholesale,'
he said. "We're looking for one particular shark.'

Because shark sightings are extremely rare in those waters, "it is a
logical assumption' that any shark in the area is a killer, he said.

Mr. Burgess dismissed the theory raised after some recent attacks in
Australia that population pressures are forcing sharks closer to shore than
usual.

" Shark attacks are a natural phenomenon that occur irregularly,' he said.

Officials in Cozumel, which has 60,000 full-time residents and 3,500 hotel
beds, said they want to investigate swiftly to quell tourists' fears.

Ed Fjordbak, president of the Communities Foundation of Texas, where Ms.
Eggemeyer worked until the youth corps was formed three years ago, said Ms.
Eggemeyer left a substantial legacy.

"Through this project, several hundred kids now have jobs and opportunities.
. . . It's a great loss to the community.'

The corps helps inner-city youths ages 18 to 23. The youths construct trails
through city parks or rehabilitate buildings for use by seniors, the disabled or
other service groups.

"Mary lived her life by that,' said a longtime friend and colleague, Kimberly
Floyd. "She's really carried the baton in our community for young people who
fell through the cracks.'

GRAPHIC: PHOTO(S): Mary Eggemeyer . . . disappeared while diving Friday. MAP(S):
POSSIBLE shark attack. (DMN)

Sharks rarely attack live people, that's rare anywhere in the world, sharks are basically skitish creatures. But sharks do eat dead things. A woman disappears on a dive in Cozumel and they find her body shows signs of it's been munched on by the sea life... shocker.

Just think how many people have disappeared in Cozumel on dives and no body has been found, those cases the sea life most likely ate every bit of them. If something is dead in the ocean, it's going to get munched on sooner or later. A dead body with teeth marks doesn't equal a shark attack. Not buying that she was attacked while she was alive.

Sharks are skittish scaredy cats, they keep their distance from you even if you wanted to get close to them. About the only time you're going to get them in close to you is if you're feeding them or they are in a area they are used to be fed in. I wish they did live up just 10% to the non-diving public's reputation they have, it would make for far better and easier to get videos and photos!

Last edited:
The International Shark Attack File (ISAF) investigated 118 alleged incidents of shark-human interaction occurring worldwide in 2012. Upon review, 80 of these incidents represented confirmed cases of unprovoked shark attack on humans. "Unprovoked attacks" are defined as incidents where an attack on a live human by a shark occurs in its natural habitat without human provocation of the shark. Incidents involving sharks and divers in public aquaria or research holding-pens, shark-inflicted scavenge damage to already dead humans (most often drowning victims), attacks on boats, and provoked incidents occurring in or out of the water are not considered unprovoked attacks. "Provoked attacks" usually occur when a human initiates physical contact with a shark, e.g. a diver bitten after grabbing a shark, a fisher bitten while removing a shark from a net, attacks on spearfishers and those feeding sharks, etc. The 38 incidents not accorded unprovoked status in 2012 included 16 provoked attacks, eight shark-boat interactions (motorized and non-motorized vessels), five incidents regarded as not involving a shark ("doubtful"), one "air-sea disaster," three "scavenge" incidents involving post-mortem bites, and five cases in which available evidence was insufficient to determine if an unprovoked shark attack occurred.
The above is from the International Shark Attack Files website.....I think these folks know more about sharks than I and other people on this board. Yep, 80 "unprovoked attacks" in 2012. Not dead people, just unfortunate people in the wrong place at the wrong time. In other words "sh*# happens", and sometimes it is "rarely". I bet if you ask the people survivors with lost limbs interviewed on shark week, they would not think that the sharks were "skittish scaredy cats".

I talked to an older Canadian gentleman who we used to see every year at the Barracuda Hotel who was having a little party for celebrating his 2000th dive. He had dived all over the world and told us about the time he was on a liveaboard trip in the Galopagos. He said one of the divers on their boat had a Great Barracuda come up and take a chunk out of his face and had to be airlifted back to land and nearly died due to loss of blood. The Barracuda "probably" saw a reflection in the facemask, but the guy still nearly died. I have seen hundreds of Barracuddas and never thought anything about following them to get a photo. I am not "afraid" of them, but anything can happen, and sometimes, "rarley" it does.

Last edited:
The International Shark Attack File (ISAF) investigated 118 alleged incidents of shark-human interaction occurring worldwide in 2012. Upon review, 80 of these incidents represented confirmed cases of unprovoked shark attack on humans. "Unprovoked attacks" are defined as incidents where an attack on a live human by a shark occurs in its natural habitat without human provocation of the shark. Incidents involving sharks and divers in public aquaria or research holding-pens, shark-inflicted scavenge damage to already dead humans (most often drowning victims), attacks on boats, and provoked incidents occurring in or out of the water are not considered unprovoked attacks. "Provoked attacks" usually occur when a human initiates physical contact with a shark, e.g. a diver bitten after grabbing a shark, a fisher bitten while removing a shark from a net, attacks on spearfishers and those feeding sharks, etc. The 38 incidents not accorded unprovoked status in 2012 included 16 provoked attacks, eight shark-boat interactions (motorized and non-motorized vessels), five incidents regarded as not involving a shark ("doubtful"), one "air-sea disaster," three "scavenge" incidents involving post-mortem bites, and five cases in which available evidence was insufficient to determine if an unprovoked shark attack occurred.
The above is from the International Shark Attack Files website.....I think these folks know more about sharks than I and other people on this board. Yep, 80 "unprovoked attacks" in 2012. Not dead people, just unfortunate people in the wrong place at the wrong time. In other words "sh*# happens", and sometimes it is "rarely". I bet if you ask the people survivors with lost limbs interviewed on shark week, they would not think that the sharks were "skittish scaredy cats".

I disagree. I see a great difference between a shark 'attacking' a person on a surf-board because their siloutte looks remarkably like the sharks food (a seal) and a diver minding his own business and a magical shark strikes out of nowhere biting their legs off underwater. If you think those incidents exist, well, I simply don't and I've never seen anything to demonstrate that they do. I've dived with hammer heads and tiger sharks and the damn things don't want anything to do with humans. The vast majority of the publics perceptions of shark 'attacks' or what they believe is 'shark typical behavior' is from watching videos of shark feedings. The public watches a great white chomp down on a bait fish at the surface from a boat that has been chumming for 3 hours and is feeding them, but the public never watches the hundreds of incidents every year where the great white interacts with divers without even paying attention to them at all.

Case in point - this was posted last week here on scubaboard, no deaths no bites

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/462430-great-white-uscg-duane-key-largo-video.html

ha.

the chupacabra (or whatever) that was "incidenting" the chickens, probably went after them over and over. Rushed them, grabbed them, bit them, again and again until they were dead. Even *I* might call this an attack.

When a chupacabra incidents a human, because humans are not actually their food, they take a first bite, then more often than not, spit the human out and don't bite them over and over again until they're dead. That's why we have stories of "shark attack victims" with missing limbs. Stories where "he bit down on my leg hard, then suddenly let go."

I'm now curious about how many "shark attack victims" are repeatedly bitten until they're dead, or even mostly dead. Looking for those now, but in the meantime, check out this story. How Shark Attack Survivors Came Together to Save Sharks | Debbie Salamone

I know this seems silly to many (most?) of you. What can I say. It's one of my pet projects. I'm not above trying to change the world, one scuba diver at a time. It's one small thing I can do.

kari

p.s. sorry about the chickens.

Do you have any documented incidents of chupacabra attacking (incidenting) anything? I mean like with real photos?

I disagree. I see a great difference between a shark 'attacking' a person on a surf-board because their siloutte looks remarkably like the sharks food (a seal) and a diver minding his own business and a magical shark strikes out of nowhere biting their legs off underwater. If you think those incidents exist,

Try this:
FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Statistics of Shark Attacks on Divers Worldwide

FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Statistics of Shark Attacks on Divers

Does the data in those links include what the humans were doing at the time of the uh, encounter, with the shark?

If my experience means anything.

I have 100 dives. I have seen sharks on probably 60 of those dives. I have seen many nurse sharks, they want to be left alone. I have seen a couple of reef sharks around Cozumel, not positive they were reef sharks, they didn't get close enough for me to tell for sure. I am willing to take the chance to see those amazing critters. YMMV

I like seeing sharks. If we can learn to behave in their environment we will be ok.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom