Shark Bite risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw my 1st shark that wasn't a nurse yesterday... he/she seemed to want to stay more away from us than anything. I was enthralled rather than any fear. And correct me if i'm wrong but shark feeding is currently illegal in florida at least.

I know several people who have been bitten.

Bull sharks rush camera off of Jupiter WHILE SPEARFISHING!!!!
How many of those people that you know got bitten were spear fishing, and had a dead, or worse, dying fish on or near them? Spearfishing is in a category of itself for shark challenges. Here it is the sea lions trying to steal your catch.

:shocked2:That *IS* Amazing! But Peter, I'm not sure I should go there with my DRYsuit.:shocked2: Maybe a wetsuit is a better idea for this dive.
I think you misunderstood what the pee valve is for! BTW Great Whites are attracted to mammal urine as that is one of the ways that they sniff out their prey, pinnipeds.

Them things is dangerous!!!!

shark_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

So, Aviation deaths or Shark deaths? Hmmm... If the plane flew higher then the shark couldn't have done anything. Aviation disaster imo

How many of those people that you know got bitten were spear fishing, and had a dead, or worse, dying fish on or near them? Spearfishing is in a category of itself for shark challenges. Here it is the sea lions trying to steal your catch.

I.

most but not all were spearing. I came very close to a bullshark attack myself and I had not speared any fish around the sharks... I think maybe a fisherman lost a fish and it turned into a frenzy. Unfortunately, spearfishing is included in the statistics. If the tree huggers are going to include all the famers in Iowa to calculated the probability of shark attack deaths, it certainly makes sense to include spearfisherman in the stats too. Once again.. the danger is VERY situation dependent and can NOT be ignored in all situations..

most but not all were spearing. I came very close to a bullshark attack myself and I had not speared any fish around the sharks... I think maybe a fisherman lost a fish and it turned into a frenzy. Unfortunately, spearfishing is included in the statistics. If the tree huggers are going to include all the famers in Iowa to calculated the probability of shark attack deaths, it certainly makes sense to include spearfisherman in the stats too. Once again.. the danger is VERY situation dependent and can NOT be ignored in all situations..

Yeah, these kinds of statistics, something seems very wrong with them. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I used to hear one about how you are more likely to get killed by a falling vending machine than by a shark. But the thing of it is, I don't know of any instances of anyone getting killed by a falling vending machine while scuba diving.

The reality is this... if I am in the water and unable to make an expedited exit (shore dive or have deco or whatever), I will pretty much soil my undergarments if I were to have an encounter with a bull shark or a white shark.

I have had no less than two sharks come over specifically to check me out. One I managed to scare off shortly before it reached me whereas the other just kept coming until it gracefully passed just beneath me and then thankfully disappeared off into the gloom. In both instances I could hear screaming in my head. One voice was screaming "SWIM AWAY SWIM AWAY!!" The other only slightly more rational voice was saying "Are you nuts? I'm not turning my back on a shark."

In comparison, 100 million sharks are killed every year by humans.
[/SUP][/SUP]

I feel like we're not paying enough attention to the real statistic here - just the sheer massive number of sharks that we kill. I still can't understand why the conversation always revolves around possible shark bites when the reality is that we are far, far, far more bloodthirsty killers than sharks could ever hope to be.

I think you misunderstood what the pee valve is for! BTW Great Whites are attracted to mammal urine as that is one of the ways that they sniff out their prey, pinnipeds.

I thinks that's marine mammal urine not all mammals, now if you take fish oil well....?

Back
Top Bottom