Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The official cause of death reported by CNN:

Groh, 49, died from loss of blood resulting from the shark attack near the Bahamas, The Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office said.

Shark tour leader was warned of danger, diver says - CNN.com

This is beginning to sound more and more like negligence. Forget bears/sharks, whether or not sharks should be fed, habituation. If you attract top level predators and don't take proper precautions, that is negligence. No matter how many dives you've done with tiger/bull sharks, they are still wild animals who can kill you without trying.

Abernathy released a statement:
At a time when we should be focused on the loss experienced by Markus Groh's family, it is unfortunate that a competitor of mine would use this tragic incident to promote his own business at the expense of all shark diving operations in the Bahamas.

Shark diving - WPTV NewsChannel 5

Well, I don't run a competing dive business and I agree with Watson that Abernathy was leading unsafe dives and it was just a matter of time before there was an accident. There is no safe way to feed a tiger or bull with unprotected divers in the water. Period.

I personally have no problem with the shark dives from a safety point of view; a person should be allowed to do what they want. I do however believe it's a bad idea to alter a species behavior by feeding, baiting, corralling, chumming, whatever you want to call it. I'm a photographer and yes, I want that great shark shot too, but should we get our great shot by forcing an alteration in behavior?

Also, I've read quite a few posts here and on wetpixel from divers who have been on a trip with Sheerwater and they all remark "I never felt in danger at anytime". That type of attitude shows absolutely no respect for an animal roughly 4 times your size that could hit, bite you and swim off faster than any human can react.

Again, I say people should be allowed to do what they want and taking risks is part of life, but don't be stupid and think this is a ride at Disneyland and you can't be hurt.

JP

Most photographers and divers make that statement after going through all the safety briefings and spending time in the water. None of those people blindly believe it is a Disneyland ride or are forced to sign up for such an adventure.

I concur, of course after hundreds of hours......

dhaas

Also, I've read quite a few posts here and on wetpixel from divers who have been on a trip with Sheerwater and they all remark "I never felt in danger at anytime". That type of attitude shows absolutely no respect for an animal roughly 4 times your size that could hit, bite you and swim off faster than any human can react.

Roy Horn would probably agree.

Siegfried & Roy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been reading along over the past couple of days and I have debated speaking up with my thoughts, but I've decided to due to a few different reasons. First, I've personally known Jim Abernethy for over 20 years, and even though through the years there have been good times and bad times, and friendships tend to be strained from time to time, I know his heart and I know that he would never and I repeat NEVER, never would have let this happen if he could have predicted it or stopped. I worked on Shearwater as a crew member and I've even worked these trips, I never felt unsafe or saw anything that would make me think the passengers were in danger. It has been over 3 years though since I was a part of his operation, and things may have changed. I can't remember divers having thier cameras ranked away from them while I was there.

I see alot of people making remarks about "habit" changes etc. Why don't we just leave that to the real experts, the ones with the PhD's, the marine biologist, those that can back thier remarks with more than I thinks and I told you so's. Surely, those that have never been on a dive like this or even one that has swam around taking photography qualify to make sworn statements that it does or doesn't affect the sharks.

Finally, I would like to say that I love seeing the sharks, and I've had two Hammerhead encounters this year already, right here in WPB. Both times I've had open water students with me...what a thrill and of course, we had no bait, we were just drifting along. I think that maybe we should all just step back and remember...something horrible happened, someone has lost a family member, a friend, others have been witness to this accident and probably have visions when they close thier eyes. How about we all say a prayer for all those involved and send our best wishes.

I was on a Shear Water trip last year with Jim Abernethy, which included dives at Tiger Beach and also End of the Map, where the accident appears may have taken place.

It annoys me somewhat when you get a tragedy like this that all these 'armchair experts' come out opining as if they know what they are talking about, when they have no experience whatsoever of diving in close proximity with large sharks such as these.

I will personally vouch that the sharks instilled no fear in me, nor the other guests - but that is not to say that your guard is ever let down. You are forewarned that they are potentially dangerous and are given VERY lengthy and detailed safety briefings, with perhaps the most critical procedure being to ALWAYS look around you, especially for the tiger sharks (since they have a habit of sneaking up on you if you're not looking). What the sharks do instill is a great sense of respect and admiration, although you know very well what they are capable of and are ever conscious of that.

Jim has been known to evict guests from the boat if they flaunt any safety rules, indeed one person on my trip was given a discreet but severe warning and needed no further ones thereafter.

The experience taught me that these sharks indeed are very cautious, including the Tigers, Bulls and great hammers. The Bulls at End of the Map were inquisitive but cautious, and indeed many guests were surprised at how unagressive they were given their supposed reputation. That said, we were told that they could show aggressive behaviour coming up from the seabed when tiger / great hammerhead shark activity was taking place at the surface, although we never saw this.

I see alot of people making remarks about "habit" changes etc. Why don't we just leave that to the real experts, the ones with the PhD's, the marine biologist, those that can back thier remarks with more than I thinks and I told you so's. Surely, those that have never been on a dive like this or even one that has swam around taking photography qualify to make sworn statements that it does or doesn't affect the sharks.

I think all folks on scubaboard are entitled to their opinion. I've never been on a dive like that, because I refused to. I have been on dives close to these sites, and I've observed behavior in sharks which are not natural (sharks normally do not swim toward human).

There are plenty of opportunities to see sharks in nature. One out of every 2 dives I've had in Florida and Cozumel we were given the opportunity to see sharks. Although just small nurse sharks, and small reef sharks, they are sharks nevertheless, and they behaved normally - swimming away from divers.

I am against the feeding of deers (it spreads tuberculosis), the feeding of animals, ducks, and any predators. Especially those that are potentially dangerous to man. I don't have a PhD in marine biology, but I think most of the comments against shark and fish feeding here are right in line with most animal behaviorist and most if not all competent marine biologists. I do have a degree in veterinary medicine, and hopefully, I am allowed to speak.

It annoys me somewhat when you get a tragedy like this that all these 'armchair experts' come out opining as if they know what they are talking about, when they have no experience whatsoever of diving in close proximity with large sharks such as these.

Why do you have to be in close proximity with large sharks in order to make an opinion about how one should not be feeding dangerous predator? Do you have more experience in animal behavior than us because you saw a shark feeding?

I know his heart and I know that he would never and I repeat NEVER, never would have let this happen if he could have predicted it or stopped

That's just it. It sounds like this was completely predictable and preventable.

I would like a show of hands from everyone who thought that chummed dives intentionally attracting tigers and bulls with unprotected divers wouldn't eventually result in an incident?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom