Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Bahamas are banning this practice as well?

Makes sense, they didn't seem to be making much money off the practice. No need for the bad publicity.

I really don't care what you do, as long as those sharks aren't attracted to me on my non-feed dives as a result. Just out of curiosity from those who are for this practice. Do you think the Coast Guard should come to your rescue in the event of an accident?

... Just out of curiosity from those who are for this practice. Do you think the Coast Guard should come to your rescue in the event of an accident?
I don't support the baiting practice either... however, that's a tough line to draw.

If you did that, would you sooner or later have some advocating the same for cavers, and deep tech/wreck deco divers?

It's a slippery slope...

due to this accident, the rest of the shark diving operations in the Bahamas will probably suffer...did it ever occur to anyone that the Bahamas Dive Assoc led by Neal Watson is taking the position of polar opposition to protect their interests in the Bahamas? What if the Bahamas decide to ban shark feeding? most of them conduct those feeds in a safer setting acceptable to the gov't. Now what if the govt of Bahamas decides no more? major consequences to those because of the actions of one. Diving with these aggressive species unprotected could cost everyone their businesses now.

*Seeing sharks "naturally" vs. a "feeding environment?" Not even close. I've had the opportunity to see Tigers, Whalesharks, Bulls, Oceanic Whitetips, Greater Hammerheads, and schooling Scalloped Hammerheads--all without the need to have chum in the water. I've also done feeds with 40-50 sharks present at one time. Give me the natural sightings any day of the week.

So when did a feeding shark become unnatural?

While I think that going out out of our way to alter natural behaviors is basically a bad idea for a slew of reasons, that's not the issue here. The issue is was the victim well enough informed of the real risk to be able to give informed consent? If he was, then it comes under the heading of %^&* happens. If he was not, then no matter how nice the operator is and how much others have enjoyed his services, it is likely criminal negligence.

I'm not sure how the law plays out here, it is a boat with US registration, a foreign national who was injured and died in Bahamian waters. All I know is that the operator is damned lucky that it was not a crew member, this would be a Jones Act case with unlimited liability, regardless of knowledge or consent.

Makes sense, they didn't seem to be making much money off the practice. No need for the bad publicity.

I really don't care what you do, as long as those sharks aren't attracted to me on my non-feed dives as a result. Just out of curiosity from those who are for this practice. Do you think the Coast Guard should come to your rescue in the event of an accident?

Speaking as an emergency responder, Of course they should. I can't count the number of life threatening emergencies i have been on due to somebody taking anything from calculated risks to flat out stupidity. We have a duty to respond , no matter what caused the incident or accident. Chances are , when i show up something has gone terribley wrong. it is not our job to ask why or who is at fault.

No mention of banning this in the Bahamas....just a fear that the Bahamas will do as Florida did and ban shark feeding of any kind even though only this one type of shark feeding procedure has been cited.

Speaking as an emergency responder, Of course they should. I can't count the number of life threatening emergencies i have been on due to somebody taking anything from calculated risks to flat out stupidity. We have a duty to respond , no matter what caused the incident or accident. Chances are , when i show up something has gone terribley wrong. it is not our job to ask why or who is at fault.

Totally agree with you, dashark. As a fellow first responder, I concur. If you sign up for the job you respond when called. But the question was not addressed to emergency responders. It was addressed to those who choose to engage in this behavior. They state, "I will take what risks I want and you have no business interfering with my decisions." As I said, I fully support this sentiment. Do whatever you want as long as you are not interfering with my right to do the same. All fine and good.

For better or worse, the government of Florida decided this behavior would not be permitted in their waters. In response the participants sailed into Bahamian waters to continue the activity. All fine and good.

But the question remains, do these willful participants expect the same government they are telling to butt out to come and save them if they are injured?

I am interested to hear their opinions.

Good point!!! Think we all need to go out and by a freekin suit of armor to dive in although not sure how dropping weight would work!!!!

Yea, you guys are right. This may not be the place to discuss wearing dive armor. Its just something I do. Just my opinion. Like I said you guys are not the first ones to give me a hard time about wearing it.

I guess I just need to get more braver.

Any loss of a diver is trajic to me.

Yea, you guys are right. This may not be the place to discuss wearing dive armor. Its just something I do. Just my opinion. Like I said you guys are not the first ones to give me a hard time about wearing it.

I guess I just need to get more braver.

Any loss of a diver is trajic to me.

I'd be more afraid of not being able to surface in an emergency with 18lbs of extra weight than being attacked by a shark!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom