Shark bites off snorkeler's arm, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking about this. To me the lesson learned is that among the many scenarios we run over in our heads is to ask ourselves what if are in the presence of such an incident underwater during a dive. What is our course of action? It seems to me the key thing is to stop the bleeding which requires a tourniquet of some kind. So ask yourself what do you have with you to use as a tourniquet or compression bandage. I decided that my two options are my reel or my 6 ft smb. My thinking is if it is a bad surface bite the smb wrapped could stop the bleeding. Maybe then wrap with the reel since that is easiest way to hold bandage in place. If it is a big chunk or loss of limb, then need lots of pressure quick and need to have it not require me to hold it. If it is me, I would use my reel as a tourniquet since it is quick to wrap and tie off and I can do that one handed if need be. If it was another diver, probably reel since that is the simplest to quickly get around limb and tie off. Following that is a controlled assent blowing off the safety stop. Assuming the wounded person is breathing through their reg then swim to anchor line and go up that. Seems like that gets them to the boat quicker. If I am the wounded person and away from the anchor line and am having trouble staying alert I would do a controlled open water assent to get to the surface while still alert, dropping weights as I reach the surface. Probably drop the pony if I have it with me. Goal is to make getting myself into the boat as simple as possible.

These are my thoughts so far. Any other thoughts?

Scary accident - I wonder what type of shark and if there was feeding going on?

Also - Is it just me or is the photo of the husband and wife smiling while showing off the bandaged stump of what's left of her arm a little weird? While I'd certainly be happy to be alive, I don't think I'd be smiling for quite a while...

While I'd certainly be happy to be alive, I don't think I'd be smiling for quite a while...

I am sure that she is totally narced. Had a friend who lost part of a hand in an accident. He was on heavy pain killers for some time afterwards.

Scary accident - I wonder what type of shark and if there was feeding going on?

She was on the last day of a cruise and there were Bahama visa issues. The simplest explanation is that some of the cruise lines have private islands in the Bahamas where the boat offloads people by shuttle boat for a few hours of beach and snorkel on the last day. Then it is a quick run to Florida for an early AM departure. When we did this there was no diving or shark feeding on the Bahama island.

The late great Jim Stewart the CDO &DSO of SIO had a similar attack in 1960s.
Jim held up his arm to protect his arm and the shark neatly removed his Trapezus muscle in one bite.

Jim said " It was an occupational hazard" he continued diving for another 50 years

You may red about Jim and his many accomplishements to diving on the following SCUBA Board thred

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8009294/
'
Sdm

I am sure that she is totally narced. Had a friend who lost part of a hand in an accident. He was on heavy pain killers for some time afterwards.
I'm sure she is - it's just an odd choice of photo to include in an article about what was a horrible and, I'm sure, life-changing mauling?
That said, I hope she has a speedy recovery and adjusts well to life without her arm!

...It seems to me the key thing is to stop the bleeding which requires a tourniquet of some kind. So ask yourself what do you have with you to use ......?

Your suggestion of using reel line is very good. We also carry zipties which can be doubled, tripled up etc and have the right amount of width to not cut into the skin again. But also incredible clamping force to stop even the deepest arteries. But EMT's hate them (don't ask me how I know)

.. what's left of her arm a little weird?...
Did you notice how much jewelry she is wearing in the pict? A huge swallowing bite may have been attracted by a large sparkling bracelet. That's why divers remove all jewelry before splashing.

I'd guess there's more details to this story, they just haven't been told yet.

Did you notice how much jewelry she is wearing in the pict? [/QUOTE:
Is there more than one picture? I can only see medical bracelet. Her extreme pale arm could have looked like a fish belly. It is an unusual attack, and I am hoping the cruise line/ resort looks into what would make the area safer without hunting local sharks.

Shark strikes happen so fast and they are so rare and unusual that there isn't much you can do to prepare for something like this. By trying to pull her arm away from the shark, she was helping it to inflict more damage. We are told to go for the gills or the eyes if hitting back. But, the instinct would be to pull away. I remember a video of an Indonesian or Fillipina flight attendant or something married to an Aussie liveaboard dive boat captain. She was guiding a dive on a reef in the South Seas and the strike on her leg was like lightning. Shark hit like a missile then darted away. Slow motion showed the classic head shaking back and forth as it tore flesh from her leg. She was medevaced by air, had surgery, and made a full recovery fortunately.

I remember reading about a South African spearo who was bitten by a great white. He fashioned a tourniquet out of the power cords and line from his speargun, swam to shore, and calmly walked over to a lifeguard tower and said, "I think I need some help."

Some people know that my ex-girlfriend is a famous shark lady. Having spent so much time in the ocean in my youth and having done so many shark dives, you'd think I'd never really worry about shark attack. But, like Sam's friend pointed out it can be an occupational hazard. Night diving in New England from shore gives me the creeps thanks to Jaws. It's funny because the chances of getting bitten in New England are low, but the primordial fear level for me is high. Whereas, I can surf near fishing piers where blood and vibrations are in the water all day or dive in some shark hot spots and never really think about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom