Shark bites off snorkeler's arm, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because hundreds of millions of people in the tropics live and walk all day every day along paths in other places where there is literally a coconut palm every 10 feet! The degree of exposure is huge and coconut palms (particularly throughout Asia) regularly drop large coconuts from great heights. It is amazing really that a great deal more people are not killed by falling coconuts!!
Now, in contrast the exposure of people to potential shark attack is miniscule. Each day a tiny tiny percentage of the world's population goes for a dip in the ocean, most of them waist deep and no more.

Interesting discussion. But look at popular public beaches; a huge # of people are in the water on a given day world wide. Many splash, doing the sorts of things that are said to draw sharks. While some dangerous sharks (e.g. oceanic white-tips) might not tend to hug the coast line, great white and tiger sharks do spend time in coastal areas. And while coconuts don't hunt prey, sharks do. Plus they're quite capable of taking people in waist deep water if so inclined.

What % of the world's population walks under a tree with coconuts on a given day? Not everyone in the tropics, even in poor rural area, falls into this category.

It is an apples to oranges comparison, of course. But you need examples that capture the imagination to convey the idea that shark attack is statistically very low risk. The terrible coconuts do that.

Richard.

I jumped in to snorkel with an Oceanic White tip while in a dive in Kona. Some idiot ( my ex-husband) threw a tuna sandwich right over my head and the shark ate it. The dive master and I were the only two in the water,he was filming. It was an amazing experience but a bit spooky when the shark began stalking us back to the boat. If we turned our backs on home he wouldn't follow but if we turned around he would chase.
I have a great DVD of it somewhere but I doubt I can find it after all my moves/divorce and remarriage.

I jumped in to snorkel with an Oceanic White tip while in a dive in Kona. Some idiot ( my ex-husband) threw a tuna sandwich right over my head and the shark ate it. The dive master and I were the only two in the water,he was filming. It was an amazing experience but a bit spooky when the shark began stalking us back to the boat. If we turned our backs on home he wouldn't follow but if we turned around he would chase.
I have a great DVD of it somewhere but I doubt I can find it after all my moves/divorce and remarriage.
Maybe you can find that film if you look in your files under "Grounds for Divorce".

So building on the perspective and logic of some folks that you describe above:

However, in the ocean, there is much less risk from falling coconuts, which kills 150 per year!

So everyone should head out to the ocean, where they will be protected from falling coconuts!!!

Does this include ones that are being carried by a swallow?

Had to be European, as African Swallows are non-migratory, or maybe it's the reverse, I don't kno-aaaarrrgghh!!!
Correct - African swallows are non-migratory, as are coconuts :wink::

Snopes has a good article about how the 150 people killed by coconuts got started.

FACT CHECK: Do Falling Coconuts Kill More People Than Sharks Each Year?
We rank this as unproven because accurate, published estimates on the global annual rate of death from falling coconut do not yet exist. Given the dearth of firsthand accounts of death from falling coconut, however, it seems unlikely that they pose more of a threat to human health than do sharks — even if death from either event is extremely unlikely.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom