Shark Diving Hot Spot Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived Molokini in Maui several times and encountered whitetip reef sharks several times - sometimes 4 or 5 in one dive.

The Stuart Cove's shark dive on New Providence, The Bahamas is an exciting way to experience caribbean reef sharks up close. I was a bit apprehensive, and had mixed feelings about shark-feeding dives, but I found the Stuart Cove's team to be very professional, disciplined, and clear about the rules. Experiencing these sharks was amazing.

For those who disagree with organized shark dives, my feeling is this: sharks are majestic animals that have been labeled "monsters" by movies and the media, which is one reason efforts to stop the killing aren't as effective, as say, baby seals, which are cute. The more we come to see sharks as amazing, majestic creatures, the more we'll value and respect them. My experience with sharks left me in awe, and more educated about them.

Accidents will happen (4,810 motorcycle fatalities in 2006, but we don't make motorcycles illegal) and some activities have more inherent risk. The sharks are ONLY interested in the fish food and there is extremely low probability of getting bitten if you follow the rules. (Although I'm pretty sure I don't want the job of the guy in the chainmail suit and the fish on a stick).

Depending on the time of year Jim Abernethy's boat finds the following on a regular basis:
Lemon Sharks, Caribbean Reef Sharks, Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks, Great Hammerhead, Oceanic White Tip, Nurse Sharks, Blacktip Reef sharks & Silky Sharks. Best Big Shark encounters anywhere. You'll get close and generally the Tiger Sharks stay in for a good amount of time. Also, if you're into photography and videography, you'll get some great tips from one of the best shark photographers in the world.

My personal favorite operator/location is Stuart Coves in Nassau, Bahama.

a6890993-eb7a-7d74.jpg

Please excuse the music I shot this video 8 years ago.

I'm looking to take a week off in February sometime to try and dive with hammerhead sharks. Any suggestions about hot spots at that time of year? Someone suggested the Maldives, so I'm looking into that, but any other ideas?

:cheers:

Two weeks ago with Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures we had 30 bulls, 8 tigers, 2 great hammerheads and one lemon on one single dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom