Shark etiquette

What would you do if a shark was aggressively racing toward you?

• Bump it on the nose with your foot or camera.

Votes: 66 32.2%
  • Stay still, meditate and lower your heart rate.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Descend, back up to a coral and pretend like you're part of the scenery.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • Hit it in the eyes or the gills.

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Swim towards the shark to show it you're the boss.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Head for the boat as fast as your little legs can propel you.

Votes: 15 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is there no discussion of a powerhead or bangstick? I know about the safety issues which are monumental, but is no one carrying?:confused:

What would I do if a shark (large dangerous) was swimming around me in attack mode- I would powerhead it since I usually spearfish and carry one, contrary to some gossip a .357 or better ph will knock a big one down with a direct hit, why wait till you are hit, because once he makes the attack they are so fast even with a weapon you don't have time to attack, or they move out of the way of the spear.
Lastly from studying these dinosaurs I believe they sense when you are afraid (prob smell adrenaline) and are stimulated to attack, so be calm and control your emotions ~Z

DivingDoc once bubbled...

I think it was a Bull Shark that took the arm off the little boy in Pensicola, FL last summer
ET

Also took the arm of my old assis. High School Principle the year before that. :) He was swimming early morning near some pilings of an old pier that one of the past hurricanes tumbled into the water. He holds no grudge and kept a shark pendant on his nub cast while he had it. He also made it onto Oprah :rolleyes:

I know its an old reply, but I had to comment...

Bulls are everywhere down here, planes and helicopters spot them near swimmers all the time. They are just getting some bad media coverage lately(last few years). They've been here longer than we have. Not to say that they aren't more aggressive than other species. There are other sharks in the area that I have never heard of attacking, whether it be intentional or not. I just believe that the Bulls really aren't going out of their way to make human appendages part of their regular diet.

Back
Top Bottom