Shark etiquette

What would you do if a shark was aggressively racing toward you?

• Bump it on the nose with your foot or camera.

Votes: 66 32.2%
  • Stay still, meditate and lower your heart rate.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Descend, back up to a coral and pretend like you're part of the scenery.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • Hit it in the eyes or the gills.

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Swim towards the shark to show it you're the boss.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Head for the boat as fast as your little legs can propel you.

Votes: 15 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IF A SHARK IS BOTHERING YOU, SLAP IT ON THE NOSE. iF IT PERSISTS...POKE IT IN THE EYE WITH YOUR STUMP....LOL!

AND REMEMBER, AN AIRPLANES SEAT CUSHION CAME BE USED AS A FLOATATION DEVICE. AND ONCE YOUR IN THE WATER...ITS A BOBBER!

LOL!
:mean: :D

I offer this for those of you who are worried.

In the year 2000, 15 people were killed by sharks.

150 people were killed by coconuts hitting them in the head.

You are 10 times as likely to be 'Gilligan's Island-ed' to death on the beach, as you are to be 'Jaws-ed' in the water.

Don't sweat the sharks.

i agree with christian. this mistaken identity theory is somewhat questionable and i read that some scientists have begun to disount it. after all, sharks have a highly developed sensory system that goes well beyond eye sight. even if one believed in these mistaken identity cases, they would only seem to make sense for large sharks such as great whites and tigers in areas with seals where a surfer/snorkler on the surface may be mistaken for a seal or sea lion. even then, a diver looks, sounds, moves, or smells nothing like a seal (thank god as far as the smell is concerned).
it also seems incredible that a bull shark -even in murky water- would mistake someone or his appendages for its usual prey. after all they are after fish that are much smaller than people. hunting like this is what they have been doing for a living for millions of years. and they seek the murky water because it gives them an advantage. their sensory system has been designed for this environment.
i believe the dog parallel is more probable. they may feel provoked, agitated, scared, territorial or even see you as a competitor on a hunt. some researchers are now theorizing that some great white attacks may just be practice. who knows, since the darned things don't answer when asked.
in any event, i love diving with sharks. all kinds and sizes. i have snorkeled with bulls and it was thrilling. took my flashlight along to have something hard to bump them on the nose and it came in handy with one of the fellows. but i don't think it wanted to eat me. it was approaching very slowly. just came a little close for comfort. all it took was a gentle tap. i admit they can be a little creepy because they also like to circle at the edge of visibility and often will reappear from behind. having a buddy who can watch your back when they get too curious is always a good idea.
by the way, in march i went to protea banks in south africa which is considered by many as the prime spot for large bulls. the stretch of coast south of durban usually has netted beaches because it has seen its share of attacks on bathers. however, according to the locals no one has ever heard of a bull shark attack on a diver.
dive on and leave the beach to the bait.

I suspect a charging shark would cause me to deficate into my 7 mil. That's my choice.

Guys,

Dived a couple of times...visited a coupel of "sharkpoints" one of the most common name I think.

I saw a shark once...it was in the afternoon so this white was asleep. We kinda scared it away...

Anyway just wanting to say that I dont dare read this thread...would scare from diving ever again!!

but still..any interesting/usefull info on diving in the Tropics? Bali, Redsea etc.
Going to Bali this summer..I guess there's not a lot sharks there?(Sharkfin fishing)

Anyway my dream is one day to go to South Africa and cage dive with a White shark there.(Me inside,Great white outside) i heard that this was possible.
Anyone done this before?
Still I always see myself falling OUTSIDE the cage when I try to enter it...or my fat ass opens teh cage door by mistake letting the big beast enter.

=-)

that sharks display any etiquette whatsoever! You might need a tourniquette afterwards, but thats another story! :tease:

What a bunch of malarkey. If a dangerous species starts swimming in an aggresive manner, bumping me, circling me close with no apparent intention of moving off he's getting a powerhead right behind the gills, it really 'aint scuba disney down here, besides, worms need to eat zeN

Hunting rock piles north of Tampa and had a heavy stringer of fish going. Was buzzed and circled by a very large Hammerhead, who stayed with me almost until the surface. I wussed out and dropped the stringer ( a little peace offering). I'll protect my stringer from bulls, duskys and blacktips. A 12 - 15 ft Hammerhead will get it everytime.

For full story: http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3504

TigerShark once bubbled...
I will probably whip out a fake shark's fin as a warning to the shark!!!

Hope he gets the idea though.......:bonk:

But what if the fake shark fin looked like it came off of one of his missing relatives? {best Jimmy Cagney immitation } "You killed my brother....."

Craig

Juggernaut,

I will be in Bali next week and my wife and I plan to make numerous dives - I'll write a Trip Report when I return but I've researched a lot and you can expect / hope to see:

Mola Mola, Manta, Tuna, Eagle Rays, Turtles, Bumpheads, Barracuda, Trevally, White Tips, Black Tips, Hammerheads, Thresher Sharks and other Requiem sharks. I believe sharks are very common and you should see some on most dives. And that is to say noting of the world famous macro !

Check out this link for a good review of Bali's sites http://www.aquamarinediving.com/

Great sites off Nusa Penida but ripping unreliable currents (down & out and can often be over 3 knots) so not for beginners.

Although Bali is most famous for the incredible variety of life and it's stunning macro, plus the 120m wreck at Tulamben that starts at 3m down to 28 m !

Oh and I forgot the black sand that makes a great backdrop for good photos.
Dee - I won't have to worry about the aperture for the backdrop so much :D

Have a great trip !
Kevin
:shark:

Back
Top Bottom