Shark etiquette

What would you do if a shark was aggressively racing toward you?

• Bump it on the nose with your foot or camera.

Votes: 66 32.2%
  • Stay still, meditate and lower your heart rate.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Descend, back up to a coral and pretend like you're part of the scenery.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • Hit it in the eyes or the gills.

Votes: 37 18.0%
  • Swim towards the shark to show it you're the boss.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • Head for the boat as fast as your little legs can propel you.

Votes: 15 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After some 200+ shark encounters with various spieces, I have never felt threatned by sharks. Encounters that have been a bit more "exciting" than others have been with open water spieces like silkys and oceanic whitetips. Especially when snorkeling - you feel a bit more vurnurable when you're on the surface with no bottom in sight and someone is yelling from the boat - HE'S BEHIND YOU! :) But I have still to meet a tiger or a White Shark. But if I felt seriously threatened, I would try to get out of the area (read further down why sharks get aggressive) and out of the water, keeping an eye on the shark and my back towards the reef if possible.

However, the strangest behaving shark I have met, which also was a bit aggressive, was a scalloped hammerhead, a female. I have been diving with scalloped hammerheads many times, schooling ones as well as smaller groups of animals. Usually they are very timid and shy away, keeping their distance. This was in the sudanese Red Sea of the south west point of Sanganeb Atoll near Port Sudan. We had spent a few days of diving this place and a school of 30-40 specimen were present on most dives. On this particular dive, me and my girfriend went out to the point were the reef drops off into the abyss. The school was deeper down on the the edge of the viz.-range. One female shark however brakes away from the school and starts to swim straight at us. I had my camera ready and thought GREAT! since good hammerhead pictures are very hard to get. Unfortunatelly the shark picks my girlfriend instead of me, so I didn't come as close as she did. This lady swims rapidly and erratic, not the gentle movements which one usually connects with the hammerheads. Allthough I didn's see it, my girlfriend claims she had to kick the shark in the head before it went back to the school (I guess i was busy with the camera).

I have one picturure of the shark with my girlfriend in the background (on the right almost in the bottom), also some other sharkie and dive pics here:

http://www.dykarna.nu/photoAlbum/album.asp?userId=4389&albumId=1112

Also, I would like to say a few words about the mistaken identity theory. This theory is based upon that the attack have to do with feeding. The majority of attacks (which are quite few each year when you realise how many people entering the water) doesn't have anything to do with feeding. When a dog attacks a man, it is not because it want's to eat him. Same with sharks. It seems more likely that it is territorial defence, a curious sharks (a shark examine by tasting) or maybe many times, like stated in this thread by Rick and Vicky and some others, herrassed or fired up (by bait) sharks. Taking into account that sharks have highly evolved senses, smelling and also vision, it just doesn't make sense they would mistake a human for a seal or a fish.

Cheers

Christian

I've had one, possibly interesting, shark encounter (many shark encounters, but only one bothered me particularly) a couple of years ago. I was doing my nav dive for AOW at a site regularly frequented by some large(ish) reef sharks. This required me to separate from the main dive party (maybe ten of us) for several minutes. As I separated from the group, two of the reef sharks started taking a real interest, and they circled me on the edge of my visibility (maybe 15m if memory serves) while I was on my own. My only thought on this was the "wounded animal" (me) had left the main shoal, and might be worthy of a quick bite, which seems to disagree with the "divers aren't food" theory. I've worked it into my main unified "peeing in wetsuit followed by rapid completion of nav dive" theory, but not much else.

Thoughts?

Dave

Dear Ruu

To me it's pretty clear. Sharks are curious animals, but also careful animals. Probably they stayed at a distance while you were in a large group of divers, because all the commotion was to frightening. When you swam away from the group, they dared to come closer for a better look. Don't think it had anything to do with the "getting an easy meal by attacking the wounded animal leaving the herd-theory". If those sharks really wanted to consume you, you wouldn't be here posting on scubaboard.com.

So what can we learn from this? If you want to see sharks, don't dive in big groups.

Cheers

Christian

I'm glad the "shark etiquette" topic came up...

I'm taking a trip in June to Morehead City, North Carolina. We're supposed to be diving to a wreck called the "Papoose". Sand tiger sharks supposedly frequent the area.

Anyone had any experience with sand tigers? Even better, has anyone ever been on this dive?

I will probably whip out a fake shark's fin as a warning to the shark!!!

Hope he gets the idea though.......:bonk:

I just recently went on my first shark feeding dive in the Bahamas. I've seen the occasional shark on previous dives .... mostly nurse sharks.... bu nothing like this. As soon as the boat anchored , the water was immediatly full of carribian reef sharks. About 15 sharks ranging from 5 feet to about 8 feet in length. I was at the back of the boat with my buddy so we were the first in line to enter the water. Now I had been dying to do a shark dive ever since I got certified, but I was a little nervous. Especially when the divemaster told us to go ahead and jump in and descend to the bottom. We literally had to wait until there was a clear area behind the boat in order to enter. Once in the water all of my nervousness was replaced with amazement. The sharks swam with us most of the first dive along a wall until we droped over the edge, and all the way back to the boat. Several times they would swim close enough that I could reach out and touch them. There were times when I felt like "one of the pack".

On the second dive we kneeled in a circle on a sandy spot and watched the divemaster feed them. By this time there were over 30 sharks swiming in and out of the "arena" , many times brushing up against you or giving you an inadvertant whack of their tail. It was the most amazing thing I have ever done and at no time was I scared or felt like I was in any danger. Now if it was 30 Bull sharks I might have also peed my wetsuit! Outside of that....I would highly recomend it if you've never done it.

Thanks everyone who has posted with their experiences. My husband and I got to see a couple of sharks when we dove at Molikini Crater in Maui - some 4-5 foot grey reef sharks and a couple of smaller black tips. They were very "skitish" and if you moved too quickly they would disapear in a second. As others have stated, I didn't feel threatened, just awed!

Mac Gyver, your shark dive experience sounds amazing - it is definately on my list of dives I want to do!

Christian, your photos are amazing! I am green with envy about your encounter with a whale shark - the pics look like you got quite close!

Thank you nurse shark for your kind words,

and yes, the whale shark was very close, maybe 0.5 meters (2 feet?) for the closest picture (was using a wide angle lens). I could easily have touched it if I wanted to. But actually some of the grey reef sharks were even closer, app. 0.3 meters (1 ft). It is difficult to see, but the snout of the shark in one of the pictures is actually slightly out of focus because the wide angle lens I used for that one can't focus closer than 30 centimeters (12 inches?).

/christian

If you anchor near the shark dive site just after they do the feeding. We've done this several times in the Bahamas in groups as large as 7 or 8 divers and have been surrounded by as many as 8 to 10 reef sharks. They came very close (within 4 or 5 feet) and did not seem deterred by our large numbers.

:shark:

During my very first dive out on Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia I came across a fair sized tiger. I was diving with two German zoologists, vis wasn't great, I looked over to the right and some metres away I saw a big shape with a cloud of juvenile golden trevally at one end, and some stripes further down.

We looked, it glided off in front of and away from us in the direction of the boat, and what did the Germans do but chased it as fast as they could to get pics!
When they came back, we continued the dive in the other direction as it obviously wasn't at all interested in us, but when we were going back toward the boat I felt quite uneasy. Didn't see it again though.
I wish I could remember its size but I can't really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom