Shark Finning: Show your support against it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark finning? I'm all for it. How else would they get around?

Oh, wait, I think you mean something different.

BubbaFetta:
The International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas is scamming the public the same way that the United States is with it's shark fin "bans". If you read the fine print for the U.S. legislation (both Atlantic and Pacific), you'll discover that fishing vessels are still permitted wholesale slaughter of sharks. The only "improvement" over the past is that vessels cannot "fin" at sea, but must return to port with the entire shark carcasses aboard. AFTERWARDS they are permitted to slice the fins off and chuck the shark.

The ICCAT's resolution works the same way. It abolishes (in the Atlantic) "finning AT SEA". This fine distinction is almost never disseminated to the public, of course.
Shark finning is the act of slicing off a shark's fin and throwing the carcass overboard, leaving room for more fins
Oh well, I suppose anything is an improvement. 'Course now all the shark fisheries have to do is simply build more boats!

Shark Finning Pictures

http://www.adventureproductions.com/save.htm

In Bimini a just a few short years ago this act would have been met with wonder. The great white hunter..... This July it was met with a crowd of people that scorned the perpitrators for 45 minutes. They will definatly think twice about doing it again. They cut the fins off for a relative in Miami to make soup and dumped the body. They were US citizens over from Miami. They did not even want to give the body to Doc Grubers shark lab for DNA and liver testing. Only as a way to avoid the chore of dispossing of it did they relent.

T

the adventure productions link, I was confused by it, or it just lacked logic, I'm not sure which. It said the hammerhead was endangered? If so, according to the ESA they are criminals, yet nothing was said about the shark being taken illegally, so i question the accuracy of the statement. Secondly, they said that the shark was killed just for its fins and jaws, so would killing it for the shark steaks make it better in their eyes? The holes seem to big in this one.

I'm a new member, but I belong to a lot of other shark conservation groups.

Finning has to be one of the cruelest acts I have ever seen and heard about. It makes me unbearably sad where I cry. (I seldom cry) But it also enrages me to the point of blind fury. How can we get some petitions going to try to stop this practice? I love sharks so much, I would give up my life to stop finning from continuing.

Back
Top Bottom