Shark Map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the fact they call these attacks. The word attack indicates the shark was acting out of malace, which is not usually the case. Sharks are predators, and most shark bites are a result of mistaken identity. Very rarely do the sharks make more than one bite.

As was already mentioned we do much more damage to sharks than they do to us.... and we do it knowing we are killing them.

scubapolly:
The word attack indicates the shark was acting out of malace

I don't think so.

scubapolly:
which is not usually the case.

It's never the case. Malice requires thought. Sharks are not that smart.

scubapolly:
Sharks are predators, and most shark bites are a result of mistaken identity.

Probably, but not always.

scubapolly:
Very rarely do the sharks make more than one bite.

That's a defensive measure. They bite, then back off to let their prey bleed to death before coming back to eat. Most animals don't have others come help them get out of the water. People usually have someone come to their aid which is what prevents the second bite.

scubapolly:
As was already mentioned we do much more damage to sharks than they do to us.... and we do it knowing we are killing them.

True, but I'm not following your point.

Walter:
It's never the case. Malice requires thought. Sharks are not that smart.

I beg to differ. I regularly dive with the same group of sharks, and I can tell you based on my experience, I am pretty certain there is some thinkin' going on. Some even have distinct personalities.

Walter:
That's a defensive measure. They bite, then back off to let their prey bleed to death before coming back to eat. Most animals don't have others come help them get out of the water. People usually have someone come to their aid which is what prevents the second bite.

If a dog made a single bite on a person we would say the person was bit by a dog. In order for us to say some one was attacked by a dog they have to be persistant.

Evidence supports it is mistaken identity. If sharks were really "going after" humans. Many more divers would be bitten. Instead most human bites are to surfers, and those playing in murky shallow water. In these cases the sharks are unable to visually distinguish between their normal prey and the humans which are foreign to them.

Walter:
True, but I'm not following your point.

My point is humans regularly attack sharks. Catch them, fin them and throw them back in the water to die, or best case scenario filet the whole thing up. Occassionally a shark bites a human, an small percentage of those bit actually die from their injuries.

One of my favorite statistics is that you are more likely to be killed by a falling coconut while sitting at the beach, than you are to be bitten by a shark.

Sharks are beautiful creatures. They are not vicious predators attacking every chance they get.

it's not always mistaken identity. Sharks can attack when threatened to feel the need to assert their dominance. Reef sharks by example, do not mistake people for their prey, small fish. They may however feel threatened to challenged and respond with a nip.

Large predators like a GW though would feed on animals which could come much closer to resembling a person, and therefore attack due to mistaken identity, and also due much more damage for obvious reasons.

Now, sharks that have broader menus like Bulls and Tigers could fall into either category. Seeing as how people aren't generally their primary source of food, and sharks don't want to take any risk when feeding, they too probably aren't looking for a meal. Although there are certainly contridictions, and if they think they have a good shot, they seem to take the chance. This may be why someone wadding in water is more often attacked by these sharks versus a diver who stares them in the face.

If you don't like using the word attack, perhaps we can start calling them shark whoopsies?

scubapolly:
I beg to differ. I regularly dive with the same group of sharks, and I can tell you based on my experience, I am pretty certain there is some thinkin' going on. Some even have distinct personalities.

Walter is correct, shark behavior is animal instinctive not cognitive behavior which is needed for malice.

But I will agree that certain sharks have distinct personalities/habits but it's still instinct for food. I spearfish in Jupiter Florida, one of the leading shark populations in Florida and I get challenged on almost every dive. Around certain reef sections and some structures, both reefies and bulls will shadow us waiting for our guns to go off then swoop in for a free meal. It could be argued that they actually hear the fish in distress, but when they get to the fish before I do and I'm only 8 -10 feet away, I'm more inclined to say it's the sound of the gun that they have become conditioned to, especially with the volume of hunters in this area. The bulls have especially been known to more check out divers who are just blowing bubbles and then shadowing them, knowing that a free meal is very likely.

scubapolly:

No thinking, but I'm sure there's enough difference from one individual to another for them to appear to have personalities.

scubapolly:
If a dog made a single bite on a person we would say the person was bit by a dog. In order for us to say some one was attacked by a dog they have to be persistant.

Dogs don't kill their prey in the same manner. Dogs hunt in packs, usually hamstringing their prey, bringing it down, then going for the throat. OTOH, if a dog bites a person one time, that's an attack.

scubapolly:
Evidence supports it is mistaken identity. If sharks were really "going after" humans. Many more divers would be bitten. Instead most human bites are to surfers, and those playing in murky shallow water. In these cases the sharks are unable to visually distinguish between their normal prey and the humans which are foreign to them.

I already agreed that most attacks are probably mistaken identity. My point is all attacks are not. Sharks rarely go after divers. We are not their normal prey. OTOH, there are more incidents than we usually hear about or that we'd like to admit.

scubapolly:
My point is humans regularly attack sharks. Catch them, fin them and throw them back in the water to die, or best case scenario filet the whole thing up. Occassionally a shark bites a human, an small percentage of those bit actually die from their injuries.

This is established fact that no one is disputing, but I'm having a very hard time seeing how it is relevent.

scubapolly:
One of my favorite statistics is that you are more likely to be killed by a falling coconut while sitting at the beach, than you are to be bitten by a shark.

True, I've never heard of a shark biting a person who was sitting on the beach.

scubapolly:
Sharks are beautiful creatures. They are not vicious predators attacking every chance they get.

I don't believe anyone has made the claim that they do. I agree, they are beautiful. They are also graceful. I've been lucky enough to dive with them many times. With one exception, I've felt blessed to have had the experience.

Johnoly:
Walter is correct, shark behavior is animal instinctive not cognitive behavior which is needed for malice.

But I will agree that certain sharks have distinct personalities/habits but it's still instinct for food. I spearfish in Jupiter Florida, one of the leading shark populations in Florida and I get challenged on almost every dive. Around certain reef sections and some structures, both reefies and bulls will shadow us waiting for our guns to go off then swoop in for a free meal. It could be argued that they actually hear the fish in distress, but when they get to the fish before I do and I'm only 8 -10 feet away, I'm more inclined to say it's the sound of the gun that they have become conditioned to, especially with the volume of hunters in this area. The bulls have especially been known to more check out divers who are just blowing bubbles and then shadowing them, knowing that a free meal is very likely.

This link makes some interesting points re shark intelligence:
http://www.sharkinfo.ch/SI3_99e/noses.html
I was lucky enough to see this chap talk at the European Elasmobranch Association conference a couple of years ago and his talk was fascinating and funny.

Dr. John F. Morrissey:
In 1978 Glenn Northcutt was able to show that sharks have a bigger brain in comparison to their body size than skeletal fish, most birds and numerous mammals.

That's really not saying much.

I spearfish in Jupiter Florida.[/QUOTE:
If a spear fisherman is bitten or killed by a shark it is considered a provoked attack by the ISAF. I don't say that to imply that I think one way or the other about it. It's just something I learned recently. Spear fishing in Florida... sounds exciting. Having my take snatched by bull sharks ten feet in front of me... no way.

I helped with the map a little bit. I agree that sharks are beautiful, fascinating creatures. part of the fascination and beauty is how dangerous they can be.

I have a bit of a shark phobia. I can get pretty scared wading in the ocean, but I never feel scared diving. When you dive you can see what's around you. When you swim you never know what's lurking around. It's completely different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom