Shark takes Jamaican Free Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks are not as developed as mammals such as bears which have a reasoning ability to get food.
Now THAT is a pretty damn bold statement with regards to an apex predator thats been around for over 400 MILLION years..

My personal opinion, dive outfits should not be using bait to draw in sharks. It's no different than feeding an alligator.

Last edited:
And don't you think that the increasing prevalence of humans in the water, particularly diving with sharks, increases the shark's comfort with humans and therefore increases the chance of a bite, perhaps not at the time but perhaps later?

I liken this to the activity of bears. Bears in the forest who have never seen a human almost immediately run away when they see us -- as if "what is that strange thing?" But bears that get used to humans - those are the dangerous bears.

I have to believe that the more popular that diving with sharks gets, the greater the chances of test bites and the like, simply because some sharks are getting used to us.

- Bill
Bill - for a long time this was how I thought, having seen the habitual nature of aquarium fishes' food preferences and how long it would take them to warm to a new but foreign type of food, even despite it seeming to be a more desirable choice. The idea that habituation to a new food source might be a slow process that starts just like what is observed with large sharks, seemed reasonable. Especially for an animal that may have experience with large prey that can fight back.

However, there's a well-known Farallones Islands urchin diver out here you may have heard of, Ron Elliot, who I believe has mostly retired from urchin harvesting in favor of taking some great white shark videos, among other things. I asked him about this at a talk he gave, and he said just the opposite - in his early days at the islands the sharks were more aggressive about checking him out. After awhile of him fending them off, and with some presumed familiarity, they came to show less interest. He did not say "no" interest...

Mike

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts have been deleted as a side argument and which are not discussing this particular accident. Please remember and respect the special rules of this forum. Marg, ScubaBoard Senior Moderator

I dive with bull sharks and tiger sharks see them quite commonly never been bothered. Spearfishing and dead or dying fish that gets them interested and excited.

Here's some follow-up articles:

68-Y-O KILLED IN SHARK ATTACK - Body found without arm, leg and genitals - News - Jamaica Star - March 13, 2013

Jamaican Free Diver Killed By Shark

From the reports I've read, 68 year old diver George Facey lost his left-hand, left-foot, genitalia, and his torso was shredded by this 16 footer. Concerning shark attacks, is it common for sharks to go for the male genitalia? The body on the beach must have caused a great commotion.

A report from:CVM Television - Shark attack in Old Harbour Bay
seems to find fault with Mr. Facey.

One thing is for sure, his fellow divers believe this shark was a man-eater (devil-shark). One report sites, that another diver "drown" earlier in the month... the "drown" diver was found with missing hands and feet.

Stay tuned, I don't believe we've heard the last from the devil-shark.

Am I correct that he was not scuba-diving?

No he wasn't scuba diving, he may have been spear fishing, but in Jamaica they also free dive to check their traps.

No he wasn't scuba diving, he may have been spear fishing, but in Jamaica they also free dive to check their traps.

Do you think free-divers are more vulnerable to shark attacks? Most people I know believe they are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom