Sharks and your experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are alot of words that comes to my mind when I look at this wonderful animal. (Mistry, Power, respect, danger, love, beauty,....etc). actually I am a big fan of this animal

IndigoBlue:
Do a slow and thorough search, and concentrate on Australia.

Texas does not have real sharks, only miniatures.

Texas does not have real scuba diving either, only mudholes and gulf water.

I guess bull sharks don't count as "real sharks" since they don't grow as large as some of their brethren. And since they like to frequent murky water I guess all of us Texans are lucky there is no "real SCUBA" diving in Texas either.

On the other hand, if you can manage to dive in murky gulf water that may or may not have these "miniature" sharks in it, you can probably feel comfortable diving almost anywhere.

I first think: cool, where?
I consider myself lucky since I saw my first shark during my second dive after being certified. It was exiting to see these creatures move so graciously through the water.
I already dove couple of times with sharks and there always had less interst in me than I in them :wink: They looked at me and took off.
IMO the only thing that could change peoples perception about sharks would be education. People are afraid and don't care for what they don't know. It's only humane.
It is clear that sharks are unpredictable just like any undomesticated (or for that matter, domesticated too) animal. Most shark attacks (just like dog bites) can be contributed to humane error due to lack of knowledge about the behaviour of these animals.
Of course, movies like Jaws do not improve the PR situation of sharks either

A couple of years ago a boy got attacked on the water edge in Pensacola, FL. Almost died. Still messed up.

Usually I think 'I hope he isnt hungry'

But dived with a lot of sharks, raggies, hammers, zambezi's, spinners, a shortfin and a small White.

None of them took any notice of us and just carried on doing whatever sharks do. I did however try to become 'one' with the nearest rock when the white came into view.

IndigoBlue:
Do a slow and thorough search, and concentrate on Australia.QUOTE]

I still am not finding any stories of divers swallowed whole, as you say you have. Maybe you can point me to a specific story? We don't want to add to the sensationalism that is doing sharks such a disservice.

As a matter of fact, I would be interested in any stories of humans being eaten by sharks (not just bitten and released).

Thanks

My sister survived a shark attack. We were snorkelong these flats just off of Crystal River when I heard her screams. "Leave me alone you @#$@%@# shark" was all I needed to hear to speed to her rescue.

As I arrived I saw the 18" bonnet head tear into her yellow fin again. I think sis was laughing at this point, but every time she shook the shark loose it came back. It never touched the other fin... just the same one. It sure scratched it all up!

NetDoc:
My sister survived a shark attack. We were snorkelong these flats just off of Crystal River when I heard her screams. "Leave me alone you @#$@%@# shark" was all I needed to hear to speed to her rescue.

As I arrived I saw the 18" bonnet head tear into her yellow fin again. I think sis was laughing at this point, but every time she shook the shark loose it came back. It never touched the other fin... just the same one. It sure scratched it all up!

Now there's a shark story!

lol... that bonnethead probably thought he'd found the biggest crab EVER!

WOW guys!!!! :11:
You guys have some reaaally interesting stories of your encounters with sharks.
The only sharks i've seen were a couple of Nurse sharks in one of the reefs in Key Largo and the larger one must have been about 4-5 feet long, i was very excited since it was my first shark encounter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom