Sharks and your experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver:
I guess bull sharks don't count as "real sharks" since they don't grow as large as some of their brethren. And since they like to frequent murky water I guess all of us Texans are lucky there is no "real SCUBA" diving in Texas either.

On the other hand, if you can manage to dive in murky gulf water that may or may not have these "miniature" sharks in it, you can probably feel comfortable diving almost anywhere.

Except, that its not a good idea to dive in murky water because there could be a South African or Australian or Californian shark transiting your local waters. However the good news is that you should be quite safe in a cave, as far as sharks and big sharks go.

I was at the Bahamas for the July 4th holiday, when a kid on the dive boat said there were 2 sharks in the water, I immediately told the DM that I wasn't going in. That I would sit this dive out(2nd dive). And he assured me that nothing would happens as long as we didn't distrube them. After I beged the DM to be my buddy and he agreed, I went down and lord be it, it swam around our group of six around 5 times, always at a distance but it looked so beautiful and awesome that I just relaxed like DM said and wola, I kinda of felt proud of myself for conquering my 2nd worst fear in diving. My first was mask clearing ( which DM Lyndsy helped me with, and I will always be greatful) They are beautiful creatures.

Must be right? Lot's of shark talk. Good.

EVEYPR7:
I was at the Bahamas for the July 4th holiday, when a kid on the dive boat said there were 2 sharks in the water, I immediately told the DM that I wasn't going in. That I would sit this dive out(2nd dive). And he assured me that nothing would happens as long as we didn't distrube them. After I beged the DM to be my buddy and he agreed, I went down and lord be it, it swam around our group of six around 5 times, always at a distance but it looked so beautiful and awesome that I just relaxed like DM said and wola, I kinda of felt proud of myself for conquering my 2nd worst fear in diving. My first was mask clearing ( which DM Lyndsy helped me with, and I will always be greatful) They are beautiful creatures.
Congrats compatriota...now if I could have the same thing happen to my dear wife....... :D

Cave Diver:
I guess bull sharks don't count as "real sharks" since they don't grow as large as some of their brethren. And since they like to frequent murky water I guess all of us Texans are lucky there is no "real SCUBA" diving in Texas either.

On the other hand, if you can manage to dive in murky gulf water that may or may not have these "miniature" sharks in it, you can probably feel comfortable diving almost anywhere.

CaveDiver the lucky thing about Texans is that they are within driving distance to Florida. Enjoy the caves there!

scubaculture:
It was interesting to see people saying Discovery channel is not really helping, but sadly I think a documentary about sharks not involving scare tactics wont get a great response :(

In the US anyway, the Discovery Channel seems to have a two-pronged approach to the way they portray sharks.

On the normal analog channel, they have the usual, sensationalistic programming like "Shark Week" where they continue to perpetuate myths initiated by the movie "Jaws." The kind of shows where you see bites taken out of surfboards and survivors with horrific scars.

However, on Discovery HD (High Definition) Theater their programming seems to be more like what we as divers would like to be shown about sharks, in that they are a necessary part of the ecosystem and that they aren't the evil monsters that they have been portrayed for the last 30 years. Just in the last month they have shown "Sharks Under Glass" and "Blue Realm -- Shark Business" which are far more sympathetic to the plight of the shark.

RonDawg:
...on Discovery HD (High Definition) Theater their programming seems to be more like what we as divers would like to be shown about sharks, in that they are a necessary part of the ecosystem and that they aren't the evil monsters that they have been portrayed for the last 30 years. Just in the last month they have shown "Sharks Under Glass" and "Blue Realm -- Shark Business" which are far more sympathetic to the plight of the shark.

Sharks are the aquatic garbage collectors and processors. Anything dead, or floating on the surface (which would be akin to dead), comes within their purview.

Without them, there would be a lot of stinky floating whale carcasses washing up on shore almost everywhere.

A good scuba diver has nothing to fear from sharks.

A bad scuba diver needs to fear Darwin's law of natural selection around them.

I've dived with the sharks in Nassau for many years. I had been diving in BVI, USVI, Hawaii, and other locations several times before, and had seen few sharks. In the Bahamas, over 8- 10 years, I have seen at least 250-300 sharks, mostly Carribbean Reef Sharks. I believe that this is because of the 'feeding programs' that they conduct there. I realize that there is ongoing debate regarding the 'artificiality' of feeding sharks, but I believe it has been generally positive. I have a MUCH greater appreciation of these animals from frequent, close observation, and it has made me much more vocal regarding their preservation.

Ignore this post, thankyou.

I am off this morning to my every two weeks gig as a volunteer diver at The New Jersey State Aquarium, diving in nthe shark tank. I am lucky enough to be able to spend a little time with Sand Tigers, and Brown sharks. Just got back from the Galapagos-whale sharks and hammerheads, as well as white tips and Galapagos Sharks a plenty...I never get tired of being with them. They are truly amazing animals-their grace and beauty is awe inspiring!

I am just sick at the mindless slaughter that is still going on, and I am afraid that the movies are continuing to make a bad situation worse.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom