Sharks??? During Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis-Thats like saying "When you need a cop there is none around, the first time you go over the speed limit you get a ticket"

Also, what pass are you talking about?

I just read that a bull shark ate that baby whale that was released. The only problem is the baby was 386 lbs. The article said the bull shark was 10-11 ft.

I'm 160 wet...haha

At Sipadan Isld in Borneo Malaysia it is near impossible to avoid seeing at least 1 whitetip on any beach or boat dive.

A few other places are similar , it totally depends on the location.

are pretty common in the surf around Daytona Beach and Port Canaveral. They are the ones who usually bite the surfers every year. They will shadow you during the dive, but they have never come close enough to fully check me out. I think they are hoping to scavenge off of whatever I attack. Sucks for them when I don't attack anything.

I think that sharks avoid me :(. So far, all I've seen is 5 nurse sharks in the keys, and a glimpse of a reef shark off W. Palm Beach, but I'm always hopeful.

No, that's actually how to get the dog to play with you! :tease: Keep an eye out. They are not near as plentiful as they were in the 70s, but they are still there!

Netdoc- I have not seen one in the water yet. If it is less then 4ft. I dont think that I would get to nerves.

and you will see them. And you are right, they don't make you nervous. Not even when there are 20 or 30 in a group. You get the idea they are more worried about YOU. Most of them are 2-3 ft long... not very intimidating in the least.

Nothing to worry about with sharks my friend, they are just curious creatures checking out the noisy thing. If you get the opportunity, to stay low and look around some in a high vis dive, you should get to see one checking you out somewhere along the line. Pause and watch.. They are very graceful to watch as they glide along and you'll feel the adrenaline (natural reaction) to seeing another animal that is at the apex of their food chain as we are on land. Let me know when that happens and what your first thoughts are when you get back out of the water and drop your reg from your mouth. :)

In August you see a fair amount of sharks in the La jolla cove, Leopards and soupfins. North a few miles (Solana Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas), you'll find larger Leopards, and the odd Mako. I'm sure there are more Mako's out there, given the Sea Lion population, but the combination of limited Vis, and the speed of a Mako make these sightings unusual.

The shore dives in San Diego typically provide you with sights of hundreds of lobster, dozens of sea bass and Garibaldi's, etc.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom