Sharks, how do they view a solo diver vs a pair of divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am going just throw this question out there blindly. Logically speaking, say you solo dive and meet a 8-10 foot shark. So, the shark is curious about you. Thus:

Question, do you think in its brain it is likely for a shark to see a solo diver more as a potential target vs a "school" of 2 divers (like a buddy pair)? Since, I am sure, sharks do think if it cost effective to attack, wouldn't a solo diver be a bit more vulnerable in the eyes of a predator, perhaps, putting solo divers in a bigger risk of some kind of unprovoked attack?

I got to admit, I don't know much about shark behavior. I seen so few of them.

The problem with meeting a shark when you are diving with a buddy is that the shark probably feels that he HAS to attack you. That shark has a reputation as a top predator, and he wouldn't want to lose face. If you were on your own, he would probably just let you go, since there wouldn't be any witnesses...

I don't think it much matters. Once they decide you're not food or a potential sex partner, they won't show much interest no matter how many of you there are ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

More likely the shark is afraid you will kill it and will avoid you before you are aware it was there.

If you are solo then you are one long beef kabob (Kubeideh). When there is two of you then you are two long beef Kabab (Kubeideh).

generally speaking, divers, solo or otherwise, are not on a shark's menu. We are big noisy, bubble making machines. They much prefer the calmer surfer or swimmer for munchies.

generally speaking, divers, solo or otherwise, are not on a shark's menu. We are big noisy, bubble making machines. They much prefer the calmer surfer or swimmer for munchies.

So, you are saying if one is on closed circuit and has a good buoyancy, one is a dish?

The problem with meeting a shark when you are diving with a buddy is that the shark probably feels that he HAS to attack you. That shark has a reputation as a top predator, and he wouldn't want to lose face. If you were on your own, he would probably just let you go, since there wouldn't be any witnesses...

Kind of like here in Oootah when you go fishing, you alway bring two Mormon friends. If you bring one they will drink all your beer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom