Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds crazy but this really works for me. I carry a small blanket with me and whenever I sense a shark is approaching I cover up my head so it doesn't see me. I have found that using a red hot nail to burn a hole in the middle of blanket lets the air underneath the blanket bubble out. It may take some searching to find a black blanket, but if you use a pink one you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it.

james croft:
Sounds crazy but this really works for me. I carry a small blanket with me and whenever I sense a shark is approaching I cover up my head so it doesn't see me. I have found that using a red hot nail to burn a hole in the middle of blanket lets the air underneath the blanket bubble out. It may take some searching to find a black blanket, but if you use a pink one you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it.

NOW DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT WAS CALLED FOR?

I just have a fear, was wondering if anyone ever used the stuff, and to maybe get some insight on weather Sharks sense fear like a horse for eg.

I doubt that they sense fear, but they do sense erratic movements.

From what I know of James it might just be true.

Sharks don't really bother me either. I have seen only a few while diving n the Keys and so far none have been bigger than me. But, I have a plan. I always carry a small knife with me in case I see sharks. My regular buddy asked me once "If that is for sharks, why is it so small?" I told him I didn't need a big one to stab him and then swim like hell outta there!! JK

Sharks are not my main concern, it's the DAMN TRIGGERFISH!!!!

Just think - the first time you see a shark underwater you won't have to worry about having a cold wetsuit :)

undefined:
Just think - the first time you see a shark underwater you won't have to worry about having a cold wetsuit :)

Ya, I told my knife buddy he'd have to help by using his knife to cut a slit in my wetsuit to allow the sh@@ to come out. The smell of that would probably turn em away too.

Thalassamania:
From what I know of James it might just be true.
:wink: Of course it's true. I bought my security dive blanket (SDB) used on Ebay. The previous owner must have been someone named Henry or Horace as it has a the letter H monogrammed all over it. Before using it I did have my LDS overhaul it before using it as it is life support equipment.

While in Truk/Chuuk, we took a break from the wrecks and went out to the outer reefs, dropped a large frozen chum ball in the water and watched the action. About 30 sharks, all sizes, came around and frenzy fed for about 15 min. We were no more than 30-40 feet away watching and video taping the action; no cages, power heads, or chainmail suits. When the chum was gone, so were the sharks. It was a great experience. The sharks showed absolutely no interest in us.

Back
Top Bottom