Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forget the sharks, watch out for bluegill if you ever dive in the freshwater around the midwest, I had a missouri blue gill try to rip both my ear's off my head!

The best shark prevention is to go diving with a camera and say out loud,"Today I will photograph a shark!". I guarantee you won't see one.

On the other hand, my encounter with a Great White off Maui was unplanned and rare. I have had hundreds of dives in California, where GW's are "common", and never seen one....go figure.

Jon

Walter:
I have to admit, Bulls aren't my favorite either.

Still my favorite dive story...and I wasn't even there (thankfully):wink:

I put my fears aside once I'm underwater. It's the bobbing around on the surface I am not fond of. (like the surface swim at La Jolla,CA...torture!)

downdeep:
If you are lucky enough to actually see one your reaction may be quite different than you expect. I thought they would scare the whiz out of me, but instead I was fascinated.

Exactly same reaction I had when seeing the white tip reef shark in Hawaii....it was amazing beyond belief. After that, you just want to see more of them.

Back in the day I did a weekly shark feed dive where I was the one swimming thru the water with the bucket of cut up fish.
We were supposed to feed off a pole spear but after about 6 months of doing this I started noticing the same sharks over and over.
there was this one missing part of his top tail fin named "stubby" I got to where I could hand feed him.
I have to admit it may have not been the brightest thing to do but I can say " Iused to hand feed sharks for a living" when people talk about what kind of jobs they had.
It was kind of cool to be pulled thru the water if you got the fish stuck on the spear real good and I have to say the tourists loved it.

The only bad experience I had was with a HUGE Bull shark the water was kinda stired up and he rammed me when I wsn't looking. Guess he wanted the bucket more than I did.

rottielover:
Forget the sharks, watch out for bluegill if you ever dive in the freshwater around the midwest, I had a missouri blue gill try to rip both my ear's off my head!

Ain't gonna happen...Fresh water is for bathing...not Diving! And now that there are a couple of human ears floating around, I'll really stick to taking showers!:D

Pugmaster, I saw something about this product on that show Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel a few months ago (during shark week).
On their website, there have some job postings, one for a shark repellent tester.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/jobs/jobs.html

Buc Chick:
Pugmaster, I saw something about this product on that show Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel a few months ago (during shark week).
On their website, there have some job postings, one for a shark repellent tester.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/jobs/jobs.html

ooooooooohhhhhhhh Thankyou, I was searching all over for a site.

Sounds like them bull sharks are the ones to watch out for!
11.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom