Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyseko:
Still my favorite dive story...and I wasn't even there (thankfully):wink:

It's not my favorite story.

PUGMASTER:
Sounds like them bull sharks are the ones to watch out for!

Even Bulls rarely cause trouble, but they are one of the ones more likely to put lumps in your swim suit. Bulls almost always leave divers alone.

Buc Chick:
Pugmaster, I saw something about this product on that show Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel a few months ago (during shark week).
On their website, there have some job postings, one for a shark repellent tester.
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/jobs/jobs.html

I like this one: "Shark Suit Tester
Inventor is looking for diver to help test shark attack survival suit. Must be a strong swimmer, preferably dive-certified. If the suit works, you will be handsomely rewarded."

I assume if the suit doesn't work, you're dead.

james croft:
Sounds crazy but this really works for me. I carry a small blanket with me and whenever I sense a shark is approaching I cover up my head so it doesn't see me. I have found that using a red hot nail to burn a hole in the middle of blanket lets the air underneath the blanket bubble out. It may take some searching to find a black blanket, but if you use a pink one you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it.
That is called "duck and cover". We were told during the cold war it would work to protect us from nuke blasts.
Do you happen to know if it works for giant squid?

Not a problem when dealing with giant squid. It will work for just about anything up to and including the deadly megladon, once thought to be extinct until last week when I sensed it's evil presence. There is one caveat, however. One must never sneek a peek from underneath the blankets protective mantle or dangle any extremities or display bare skin or IT WILL PRECIPITATE AN ATTACK. Other than that you should have no problems, whatsoever. I use a small DSB (Diver's Security Blanket). It handles most of my emotional and security needs as I often dive solo. When diving with a buddy, you may need to resort to a Queen, or even a King size blanket as it must be large enough to huddle both of you underneath it protective shield. Remember that you should save at least a 1/3 of the blanket for both you and your buddy to haul butt back to the boat when you sense danger.

I was diving inside a wreck a few weeks ago. Right when I was coming out of the wreck I sensed something was coming out with me. I looked to my right and saw a 8 ft sand tiger an arms length away. I loved it. I thought it was hilarious. It was like he was just passing by saying..."whaz up"...I love sharks. They are beautiful creatures. I love diving around them and I see them on almost every dive I make. Yes, they can cause some big hurt if they attack, but they rarely attack. Just go diving and take in their beauty...I think you might change your mind...

PUGMASTER:
I'm thinking about getting a titanium samarai sword.

Please don't do that...

waynel:
PUGMASTER

I'm a relatively new diver and I have yet to see a shark. In fact, my closest encounter with a shark was in 3 ft. of water. I was staying in Gulf Shores on the beach. I waded out to about 3 ft. and turned my head to avoid a wave splashing me in the face. When I turned back to face the water, there was a 6 foot Bull Shark about 4 feet away pointing straight at me. At first I wasn't sure 100% sure it was a shark until it turned and started swimming parallel to the shoreline, keeping one cold eye on me as it did so. It's true what "they" say. You have more chances of being attacked wading on the beach than you do diving. Relax and go diving!

Oh my! Tasty feet and legs in shallow water! Did you bring a second pair of shorts on the trip?:rofl3:

james croft:
Not a problem when dealing with giant squid. It will work for just about anything up to and including the deadly megladon, once thought to be extinct until last week when I sensed it's evil presence. There is one caveat, however. One must never sneek a peek from underneath the blankets protective mantle or dangle any extremities or display bare skin or IT WILL PRECIPITATE AN ATTACK. Other than that you should have no problems, whatsoever. I use a small DSB (Diver's Security Blanket). It handles most of my emotional and security needs as I often dive solo. When diving with a buddy, you may need to resort to a Queen, or even a King size blanket as it must be large enough to huddle both of you underneath it protective shield. Remember that you should save at least a 1/3 of the blanket for both you and your buddy to haul butt back to the boat when you sense danger.

I can only add to the above by suggesting you squeeze your eyes tight. This will increase the ju-ju by a factor of 10.:D

Lehmann108:
I can only add to the above by suggesting you squeeze your eyes tight. This will increase the ju-ju by a factor of 10.:D

and hold your mouth right for sure. That should give you 2x the Ju-Ju.

I posted by encounter Bull while in the surf at Gulf Shores (Alabama) earlier on this thread. Actually it in Orange Beach, just down the road from Gulf Shores (so close we just them together). You folks do remember Orange Beach don't you? What was it, about 2 years ago, when that teenager girl floating on a raft was attacked and killed by a Bull? And then I believe just a week or two later, a young boy about 12 years old (about 10 miles down the beach from the first attack) was attacked in the surf by a Bull but was saved by his uncle punching the Bull. If you add up all the attacks in the Gulf waters along Alabama and Flordia over the last ten years, the number one culprit..The Bull. I don't trust them. It seems like the have little or no fear of humans are are extremely aggressive. Attacking that girl on the raft?? Now, we've heard how Great Whites will mistake surfers or swimmers on rafts paddling out for seals. However, that doesn't fly on coast of Alabama or Florida panhandle. There are no seals there. There is nothing in a Bull's food supply that resembles something as large as a human on an inflatable raft. I'm no expert, but that attack looked premeditated.

waynel:
PUGMASTER

I'm a relatively new diver and I have yet to see a shark. In fact, my closest encounter with a shark was in 3 ft. of water. I was staying in Gulf Shores on the beach. I waded out to about 3 ft. and turned my head to avoid a wave splashing me in the face. When I turned back to face the water, there was a 6 foot Bull Shark about 4 feet away pointing straight at me. At first I wasn't sure 100% sure it was a shark until it turned and started swimming parallel to the shoreline, keeping one cold eye on me as it did so. It's true what "they" say. You have more chances of being attacked wading on the beach than you do diving. Relax and go diving!
Ok now that raised my pucker factor. SCAARRRY!!!

Back
Top Bottom