Sharkskin Chillproof Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheBeepBoop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone tried these? Do they actually give the warmth of a 5mm? My gloves are coming up on the end of their life and these seem like a good option for more mobility without sacrificing warmth (I dive 57-67 degree water depending on the season) Thanks for any opinions on them.

I really don't like my 5mm gloves--not enough dexterity or tactile feel. Hoping to find something as warm but a bit more flexible. I'm also curious about the Sharkskins...

My T2 suit doesn’t give 5mm temps so I can’t image the gloves do. The T2 is 3mm equivalent in my experience. Disappointing since I don’t mind my 3mm and was hoping to not have to get a 5mm or dive my 7mm.

My dive log shows me diving my 3mm to 63F and a week later my sharkskin to 62F (with 3mm gloves). But my notes say it was not fun dipping below the thermocline to get to 62-63F for either one. I was expecting the sharkskin to give me a comfortable dive in the low 60s.

Since you asked specifically about gloves…I dive my 3mm Bare Ultrawarm gloves (see above) at those temps instead of my 5mm and have not noticed my hands getting cold. Might want to look at those. I havnt taken them lower than 62F yet…but I’m going to find out how low they go next spring since I agree the 5mm suck for dexterity.

My T2 suit doesn’t give 5mm temps so I can’t image the gloves do. The T2 is 3mm equivalent in my experience. Disappointing since I don’t mind my 3mm and was hoping to not have to get a 5mm or dive my 7mm.

My dive log shows me diving my 3mm to 63F and a week later my sharkskin to 62F (with 3mm gloves). But my notes say it was not fun dipping below the thermocline to get to 62-63F for either one. I was expecting the sharkskin to give me a comfortable dive in the low 60s.

Since you asked specifically about gloves…I dive my 3mm Bare Ultrawarm gloves (see above) at those temps instead of my 5mm and have not noticed my hands getting cold. Might want to look at those. I havnt taken them lower than 62F yet…but I’m going to find out how low they go next spring since I agree the 5mm suck for dexterity.

That’s disappointing to hear! I was hoping they would be good, but it makes sense, lol. I’ll look into those Bare ones! Thanks. Though I might suck it up and just go 5mm again.

FWIW the Fourth Element 3mm look pretty nice. I'm not sure how well they'd hold up in my mid-50s waters but I'm really considering giving them a try. I really don't enjoy not having tactile feel.

FWIW the Fourth Element 3mm look pretty nice. I'm not sure how well they'd hold up in my mid-50s waters but I'm really considering giving them a try. I really don't enjoy not having tactile feel.

I think my insta buddy was diving with those yesterday. I didn’t ask, but I did see Fourth Element on the finger and she was in low 60F with me and no complaining after.

For what it's worth, I've been using a pair of fourth element (thermo cline? I think) dry glove liners, as stand alone gloves, in water down to 11C, with no problems at all. They are made from some kind of neoprene ish material. Easy to get on & off. Not too pricey. Probably not super durable, but, again, cheap enough you could buy a new pair, pretty often, without breaking the bank.

Usually dive a dry suit, and until now haven't really liked any of the other glove/dry glove options I've tried. Picked these up on a whim, as an experiment, in the spring, and have been pleasantly surprised at how well they work for me.

For what it's worth, I've been using a pair of fourth element (thermo cline? I think) dry glove liners, as stand alone gloves, in water down to 11C, with no problems at all. They are made from some kind of neoprene ish material. Easy to get on & off. Not too pricey. Probably not super durable, but, again, cheap enough you could buy a new pair, pretty often, without breaking the bank.

Usually dive a dry suit, and until now haven't really liked any of the other glove/dry glove options I've tried. Picked these up on a whim, as an experiment, in the spring, and have been pleasantly surprised at how well they work for me.

Ohh that is an interesting option, I might be trying that! Thanks for the input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom