Sharm El-Sheikh F.A.Q.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes mid winter in sharm is like a fine summers day here in ireland,, give me sharm winter anyday hahah

I'll take you up on that Shadow. Hey, I dive in a t shirt. below 77 degrees is winter, brrrr. Actually in those cold water sites (below 82) I wear a wet suit shirt. I still likr over 80 but for the Red Sea I'm all in.

I'll take you up on that Shadow. Hey, I dive in a t shirt. below 77 degrees is winter, brrrr. Actually in those cold water sites (below 82) I wear a wet suit shirt. I still likr over 80 but for the Red Sea I'm all in.
OK waiting for you :)

It depends on the date you're going to come at. The main issue here is the wind chill not the water temperature. However, in February when the guys are coming, it's an issue in the water and after the dive. That's why some guides here use dry suits in winter.

Folks,

I don't do live aboards, one was enough, so can anyone recommend a good website(s) that let me look around for something that fits my style. I like small hotels, walking distance to restaurants and an occasional bar that encourages talking. I go to dive, meet people, try new food and experience different cultures.

If you work for a dive shop or resort feel free to contact me. since i live in the northern US i'll be escaping -20C weather to come dive in Jan.

Since i have a built in 20mm wet suit i to usually wear just a t-shirt or dive skin if it get too cold. I dove poor knights in nz w/ just a shorty - no hood.

tia - op

Red Sea Diving with Emperor - dive resorts, liveaboards & PADI courses is located within walking distance of the main shopping and eating in sharm el sheik. Theire also located at a fairly small hotel.
Theres others as well, but thats the guys I use when I go to sharm and theire the ones Ill use next time I go there (hopefully in august/september)

However, I dont think youll find "real" local food in the main tourist areas in any country in the world.

I like small hotels, walking distance to restaurants and an occasional bar that encourages talking. I go to dive, meet people, try new food and experience different cultures.

I don't know about Sharm as I've never stayed there, but have you considered going to Dahab ? It fits your bill. Many small hotels by the sea within walking distance of many good restaurants, very friendly people, both Egyptians and expats, great local shore diving (Blue Hole, Canyon...) but you can also take a trip to the Thiglestorm or a dive safari. It is about an hout and a half from Sharm, and most hotels have shuttles.
I stayed at this place Tauchen in Dahab, Sinai :: Diving in Dahab, Sinai and loved it, great small hotel with a family feel, nice staff and perfect location, it caters mainly to Swiss and German divers, but you'll find many other places to stay for all budget in the area.
Enjoy your trip.

Our dive group is headed to the Red Sea in October 2009 for a seven day live aboard on the Heaven Freedom leaving from Hurghada. Can you give me the general conditions for that time of year: weather, sea temperature, what mil suit to wear, currents, or anything else you think might be good to know. Thanks, Rob

Wow this board is great, sorry im a rookie i guess.

Considering Dahab before i got on. Sounds like I was spot on. We are looking at DIVE URGE has anyone heard anything? The seaview chalets are 40 GBP/nt per couple, sounds reasonable.

Myself and the ol lady are going for about 10 dives (Dive Urge quotes 450GBP) and I wanted to query the board for the 'best' spots or 'must sees.' I like to see fish or wrecks. Calm waters and no washing machine effect. Any recommendations?

What else besides diving is in Dahab? Is it far ride to Sharm? Thanks for the help.

There's no wrecks in Dahab. No washing machines either. However, sometimes there's strong current.

For more info about Dahab dive sites, visit SCUBA diving in Dahab; dive the Blue Hole and the Canyon, Sinai, Red Sea, Egypt

PS: the site is about to be updated in a couple of days so check frequently.

Beside diving in Dahab, you can do camel safaris, quad runner safaris, have Bedouin dinner in the desert, and wind/kite surf. Dahab is about 100 KM north of Sharm.

Back
Top Bottom