Sharm vs Dahab vs Hurghada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea2sea

Reaction score
Going to be on the Sinai Penin. next month, but only have 4-5 days, so a live aboard is out. Any scoop on/experience with a good, reputable and safe land-based dive shop, in any of these cities (Sharm, Dahab, Hurghada)? How about Camel Dive shop or AquaReef or any others? I am AOW certified but my travel partner is doing his four open water referral dives there, so versatility is a must....Thanks!

Sea2sea,
I have been working with Sinai divers in Sharm.
Email or call Edith there. If you email them first, she will be sure to set space up for you on a boat, so you won't have to worry about them being sold out.
Please tell her I sent you.
Here's the address...info@sinaidivers.com Have fun!
:sunny:
http://www.sinaidivers.com

... then Dahab is the place. My brother (Aaron Bolt) is a Padi instructor there so if you need anyone to take you out, email him at aaronbolt@hotmail.com (my name is Jay btw) and he will sort you out. Basically, the sites you names are different in type - Sharm is much more commercial with tons of dive boats and chartered dives (Thistlegorm etc) whereas Dahab is all shore dives (but much more basic and 'true' Egyptian.

Let me know how you get on and if I ca be of any more help

I dived with the Red Sea Diving College in Sharm and found them to be excellent. They have very cheap accomodation onsite if needs be.

They should easily be able to accomoadte your different needs.

I've been out to Sharm for last 3 years and dived with Ocean College in Naama Bay each time. I would definitely recommend them to anyone - Excellent outfit based at the Ocean Sands Hotel in Naama.
There's some info at their website 'www.ocean-college.com'
The Ocean Sands also has a sister hotel Ocean Lodge that I have stayed at each time - It's located in a quieter area 'Ras Um Sid' with a free shuttle bus back into Naama - Hotel is nothing extravagant but nice and very clean..
They are a real decent bunch of guys and gals and I've always found them really friendly and approachable making it a thoroughly enjoyable weeks diving each time !!

Try Emperor Divers. I worked for them for a year as Assistant Manager. Good operation, lovely management team.
But Camel, Red Sea College & Sinai Divers are also excellent.

Good diving companies all of them!

Don't fancy the jetty situation tho!

If your main interest is in diving, Sharm El Sheikh by far surpasses Dahab in its diving sites.
Although there are some nice and famous sites in Dahab, Sharm offers LOTS of better dive sites, including uncomparable Ras Mohammed.
Don't waste your time diving in Dahab. You're coming from far away to dive in Sinai and time limited? Go to the best place.
In Sharm you'll be able to find dozens of diving operators to find one that you like.

Hurghada offers excellent diving opportunities too, but if you also want to travel a little on the land, Sharm is the place. For example, it is quite close to the mountain monastery of Santa Catherina. You can do from there backpacking tours of a few days (you can arrange a camel to carry the gear too).

Enjoy your trip!

Vicky,
Welcome to the scuba board. Thanks for posting. Hope to see more of your posts.
:sunny:

In 4-5 days you can do some of the following sites:
-Ras Um Sid (I think at least two dives from the shore for this wonderful site and a night dive too, if you can arrange it)
-Ras Nasrani (good shore dive site)
-Tiran Island (daily boats, two dives. Try to avoid Gordon reef if sites are "negotiable")
-Ras Mohammed (daily boats, two dives per day. You can go there twice, won't regret it! Don't miss the Yolanda and Shark reefs. Shark observatory has a nice reef too but less fish)
-The Tower
-Nabeq- Nahlat El Tal (this is a shallow dive: 6-8 meters, hence not so popular)

This more or less covers 4-5 days diving.
There are more sites which are less popular
-The Gardens (by boat. Don't waste a precious boat day on these sites).
-Pinky's wall, Amphoras, Turtle bay: good shore dive sites. Ras Um Sid is better in my opinion.

There are sometimes short safaries from Sharm, like 3-4 days. May be it's a good idea to check that, as you'll get more dives for a better price, and you won't need hotel as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom