Shear pouches? Where or how to make?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
I just got a set of shears recently, but i dont have a pouch with them. I was wondering where you might purchase these types of holders from?...... Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Simon,

Follow this link for a picture of a solution. The clip is actually inside of one of my BC pockets, which made this work relatively well.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=466615#post466615

I later changed to a bungee cord tied to the tubing end @ scissor tip (with a large split ring on opposite end), wrapped once around shank and through scissor handle. The ring was then clipped to the strap in pocket. I like this second solution better. The cord can be stretched to remove tubing and shears come right out.

...after I re-reade this - it seems very confusing. I'll try to post another pic.

B-n-B

for a little web pouch for knives. I've seen these for about $2.00 made of black webbing with velcro. There is a Army Navy store in Sanford on 17/92 which has these.
If you're handy with the needle and thread I have a hole in my jeans I'd like sewn up?

I tried to stitch up some proper webbing and it was no good, the soft stuff wasnt bad, but the regular stuff is far too tough to push a needle through - or at least the methods i used!

Will check out the army navy stores in Orlando and Sanford.

i just made my own sheath for my 7.5" shears. i took an old shoulder strap from an athletic bag and some velcro i took off of a crappy pair of gloves. here is the end product - i used my sewing maching and it took about 1.5 hours to make two sheaths. the clip allows me to attach the shears pretty much anywhere on my bc, and the velcro secures the shears into the sheath. all i need now is some surgical tubing to attach sheath to shears. also, i left small spaces at the bottom of the sheath so water could drain out.

Looks good.

Due to my inability to be able to push a needle through harness webbing i was going to give up on this, however my GF says she can get a cutting needle from the hospital, goes through this kind of stuff and cemented body tissues like a hot knife through butter, so we shall see if this gets resurrected some day and actually used on my BC :wink:

spn923:
i just made my own sheath for my 7.5" shears. i took an old shoulder strap from an athletic bag and some velcro i took off of a crappy pair of gloves. here is the end product - i used my sewing maching and it took about 1.5 hours to make two sheaths. the clip allows me to attach the shears pretty much anywhere on my bc, and the velcro secures the shears into the sheath. all i need now is some surgical tubing to attach sheath to shears. also, i left small spaces at the bottom of the sheath so water could drain out.

looks good. :wink:

SPN923,

Great idea, I have several of those old shoulder straps from bags. I will have to experiment with sewing.

Wristshot

I made a knife sheath out of webbing by hand sewing. I found that the "hook" shaped needles (yes I know there's probably a real name for them but ... :wink: ) went through standard webbing pretty well w/o having to use a thimble. Also, if it's real tough, you can use some needle nose plyers to get it started. Slow going, but it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom