• I use a mechanical compass exclusively

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I use both interchangeably

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • I don't know how to use a compass

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Compass choices for us are varied.
I'd like to know what we use?

I own two Shearwaters with a compass built in.
If I navigate, it is with an old mechanical.
I want the Shearwater to work for me, takes too much thought to use.

I guess I'm "old school". For one thing I'll never go in the water without a compass. I see a compass as essential gear.

I actually have a Perdix but my compass is mechanical. I've never used the computer's compass, to be honest. I guess the reason for this is because early electronic compasses were.... well... crap (to say the very least) and even though that has changed I haven't personally been able to keep pace and I still prefer a mechanical one.

R..

Same as AJ. I have a survey compass in my pocket which backs up the Shearwater, Once, when I changed the battery and calibrated the compass, the Shearwater said the calibration was a success. Underwater my compass was going crazy. Somehow it seemed to have only 3 major directions and left off the 4th. Really weird to see an electronic compass that couldn't find a simple direction that should be there. Hasn't happened since, but if I am suspicious I'll pull out my $5 Walmart compass which works great.

I neither a fan of my Shearwater or Suunto (there are other computers other than Shearwater) electronic compasses. Yes they do have a nice feature to lock a reciprocal heading but IMO you can't beat the simple SK8 for being clear and easy to read.

To me the benefit of having a mechanical compass on my left arm is being able to glance at it without moving my arm. I point my arm in the direction I swim and know instantly what course we're heading. It has become part of a routine check ranging from computer, situation ahead safe, buddy/team, compass and so forth. I do not change my arm position during this cycle. I'am not sure, but I don't think I could do that with an electronic compass without moving my arm?

Have a Perdix and a mechanical that I dive with together. If it is just Mrs Flush and myself I use the Perdix. If I am with students I use the mechanical. After a battery change to the Perdix, I compare the two for confirmation of uniformity.

Back
Top Bottom