• I use a mechanical compass exclusively

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I use both interchangeably

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • I don't know how to use a compass

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Slamfire. The Teric rocks!!!

That Teric compass actually looks very good.

The one in the nerd is tiny (reminds me of the tiny ones on the butt of a Rambo survival knife) or is the scrolling number bar that you have to think way too hard with. I wish my NERD had the display of the Teric.

I use the old fashion one: is there ready to use, and I don't have to push one button to check where I'm going...

The one in the nerd is tiny (reminds me of the tiny ones on the butt of a Rambo survival knife) or is the scrolling number bar that you have to think way too hard with. I wish my NERD had the display of the Teric.

Tiny? How much bigger should it be?

Teric is a beautiful piece of gear, but it doesn’t have to display PO2...

EE5EA139-93E8-483B-ADAE-1E184DE114FE.png

That Teric compass actually looks very good.

The Teric is round. The NERD is round.... Maybe the NERD3 will have a display to match the Teric..... That does sound nice....

The hardest part had nothing to do with the teric's functionality which is excellent.
The issue I kept having was keeping my wrist pointed directly in front of me. Subconsciously, I was pointing my wrist in the direction I wanted to go but not actually facing. Once I realized I was doing that, it seemed to work very well and fluid.
This is exactly why I don't like to use an electronic compass. I don't want to sway my arms just to see where I'am heading. So for me no electronic compass unless it's attached to a DPV.

Tiny? How much bigger should it be?

Teric is a beautiful piece of gear, but it doesn’t have to display PO2...

View attachment 477438
The way the "big compass" is shown on the NERD you get macro vision. In the example you show you have a 45° spread. If you are dead focused and navigation is all you are doing, being that exact is fine. But 99% of the time I am doing something else on a dive. Looking around, etc. It's like taking a regular compass and covering 80% of it and trying to use a compass with only a peep hole.

The small compass (I have tried it in the 3rd PPO location as I only have 2 cells hooked up) and it is too dumbed down. Too small.

That is where the Teric looks great. Looks like a normal compass. Full 360° display so no macrovision.

A few months ago I had three students who were loaned a colored display computer, G2, Perdix, and an Eon. After playing around with each of the compasses all three of the students preferred the Eon's compass. I still prefer my Suunto SK compass. Perhaps someday I'll breakdown and move over to the digital compass.

I have only compared the Shearwater and G2 and I definitely like the Shearwater (Perdix or Petrel 2) better than the G2. It seemed noticeably smoother/more responsive.

The way the "big compass" is shown on the NERD you get macro vision. In the example you show you have a 45° spread. If you are dead focused and navigation is all you are doing, being that exact is fine. But 99% of the time I am doing something else on a dive. Looking around, etc. It's like taking a regular compass and covering 80% of it and trying to use a compass with only a peep hole.

The small compass (I have tried it in the 3rd PPO location as I only have 2 cells hooked up) and it is too dumbed down. Too small.

That is where the Teric looks great. Looks like a normal compass. Full 360° display so no macrovision.

OK, if you don't like it, I guess that's a matter of personal preference. But I'm not quite sure I understand the problem you are describing. Why do you need to see more than what your heading is? How is it better for it to look like a regular compass?

When I'm navigating somewhere, I see my heading in the NERD display, along with the PO2, and I have no problem looking around at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom