• I use a mechanical compass exclusively

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I use both interchangeably

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • I don't know how to use a compass

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The small compass has no resolution. You have to have a cell turned off to use it anyway. Done there.

The bottom row compass. You get about a 45° window. You stop for a moment, look at something, check your suroundings, whatever and you get turned around really quick. Do I need to turn 90° left, right, flip a full 180°? What do I need to get my heading back? With a full compass display it's clear. It is what I have used for decades. Quick glance, rough heading, let it settle for a second, minor adjustment and on my way. That is a normal compass, and how the Teric looks as well. But the NERD/Petrel is so macro that picking up the rough heading is difficult. There is the little dot that isn't that easy to see that says "turn in this direction". How far, don't know? I could be off by 179° or off by 50°. You just know to turn some random amount in that direction. It is easy to overshoot and blow to the other side. The macro vision of such a tight window is great for getting a heading to the degree exactly what you want. If I was scootering a couple miles in open ocean it would probably be the greatest thing ever. But having to deal with normal terrain, looking around, and having to get back on coarse, it is a huge pain. You have to spend too much time thinking about the NERD compass where a regular one just takes a moment to level, let settle, adjust your aim, go. NERD is look for the dot, turn a little toward it, not enough a little more, a little more, how far off am I?, oh just overshot it. Did I get my bearing set in the right direction before I started? I want to adjust my target direction by 90° now, how do I do that? Oh, aim 90° from the mark, hold steady and reset the mark. Regular compass, turn, it points 90°, go. You don't have to think "I started with a heading of 60°, I'm turning 90° so that makes it a new heading of -30°, oh take that off 360 so 330°, I have to completely blow off the 60 heading I was on, reset for the new heading. No, that is too much thought into a simple compass.

OK, I still don't understand, but I get it that you don't like the NERD compass. The little icon that you put in place of a PO2 reading doesn't make intuitive sense in a NERD, since it's meant to be looked at in a flat horizontal plane. I don't have the option of using that with three sensors, but I understand what you are saying about that.

Not trying to give you a hard time about this, I'm just wondering what I'm missing. Maybe you are doing a different type of navigation than I am. Is this for a class or something where they tell you to follow some sort of route with changing directions?

If I'm trying to follow a heading of 60°, I just position myself so that it says 60°. Then I swim forward. If it drifts off I just turn back to keep it at 60°. What little dot? What says "turn this direction"? All I see is the heading, and the cardinal and ordinal compass directions above that.

I mean, if you stop and do something else, and you want to get back to your heading, you just look at what it says and turn back to your heading. Compass degrees are pretty unambiguous. Even if I forgot how they work, if I know that I want so swim on a heading of 60°, and I look up and it says 179°, I just rotate until it says 60° again. Either direction of rotation will get me there...

Again, don't mean to be difficult here, just wondering why the regular compass is better. I just found the NERD compass to be such a huge improvement and it's so nice not to have to be constantly looking at a wrist mounted instrument when I'm swimming. Just look straight ahead and there it is...

I have used mechanical from the time I was certified until about 3 months ago. Since then I have moved to using my Shearwater primarily. However I still teach using a mechanical.

Back
Top Bottom