Shearwater Perdix Computer Users running Open Circuit...question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pirate Dough

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently posted a similar question earlier. This post is geared to the setting used.
The Shearwater Perdix has 3 settings for NDL.
The Conservative options are Low, Med, High...

Who's running what...and why?
Thanks

It gives an easy 3 levels of conservatism to choose. Standard for many dive computers. Fitness level, age or your personal conservatism preferences are some of the deciding factors.

I use to run low, moved to medium as I'm wanting a little 'cleaner' decompression profile in case I need a rapid ascent, extreme physical exertion or another emergency that would perhaps effect my offgassing. In a stressful dive I'll switch to high. Or simply add my own extended safety stop.

Regards,
Cameron

I run medium on most shallow dives, if I'm doing something deeper I'll run it on tech mode on 50/70 which is a bit more conservative than "High"

I run mine on medium , due to the simple fact that was the setting started. Not been doing any deep dives or specially long ones either yet. To cold in water still.

I've left mine at Medium. Watching the tissue compartment graph on multiple dive days, it looks like all the compartments are clearing adequately.

30/70 for deeper coldwater dives (Great Lakes), 35/85 for shallower warm water (Mexico). If I left it at 30/70 in Cozumel, I'd drive the rest of the boat crazy with my deco obligations on many dives. Still more conservative than DSAT on my backup computer.

Not too many dives on it yet but I did leave it on recreational Medium and paid attention to how I felt when I got out (no unusual feelings/tiredness etc that might suggest any deco issues).

While diving trimix : 30/70 or 35/85 depending on the dive. When in Rec Mode : Medium for dives with reduced deco time, Low when diving no deco.

Why those settings ? On trimix : that's the closest to the deco plan used by my buddies who don't have a trimix computer (just what I did in fact until a couple of years ago or so). On Rec Mode, just paid attention to the way I felt after diving with the different settings and choose the one which offered me the best ration between deco and bottom time.

I switched to low conservatism after using it on about 50 dives. My NDL clock was quicker than my colleagues. A couple of times I was given a 6 minute safety stop at 6 meters while my dive group completed only 3 minutes. I monitor my tissue compartments graph during and after the dive. I also take a bit longer surface interval where possible.

Could it be that the Medium setting is the factory default setting chosen by subject matter experts and lawyers?

GJS

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom