Shearwater Perdix Computer Users running Open Circuit...question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switch to low conservatism after using it on about 50 dives. My NDL clock was quicker than my colleagues. A couple of times I was given a 6 minute safety stop at 6 meters while my dive group completed only 3 minutes. I monitor my tissue compartments graph during and after the dive. I also take a bit longer surface interval where possible.

Could it be that the Medium setting is the factory default setting chosen by subject matter experts and lawyers?

GJS

it could also be the setting on the safety stop, there you can choose how many minutes you want it to tell you or choose adapt setting. with that setting the time can change (havent seen any other computer with this option).

It is indeed on adapt. I don't tell my barber how to cut hair, so I do not tell my computer how many minutes I should stay at 6 meters and think about how much fun I am having.

GJS

Used to use the tech setting when diving rec but switched to the rec mode as the main screen display is easier to use. I use low conservatism as this more closely matches a previous PDC. The way I dive I have no other reason for higher levels of conservatism.

I'm using a GUE ascent profile, so I use Tech as it allows a timer and doesn't want to stick safety stops into my dive.

It would be great to know what these settings (low, medium, and high) relate to in terms of gradient factors. Conservatism is different depending on whom you talk to. For me, anything with a GF lo of less than 50 is reducing conservatism. Anything with a GF high of more than 80 or so is reducing conservatism.

I tend to keep my GF lo and high close to the same, regardless of whether I'm diving 15/55 or air.

It tells you the corresponding gradient factors for L/M/H.

I'll try and remember to pull them up tomorrow.

Off the top of my head
L M H
45/95 40/85 35/75

Last edited:
From the manual, section 8.2, page 19:
Conservatism
The decompression model conservatism can be set to three fixed levels:
• Low (45/95)
• Med (40/85)
• High (35/75)
The corresponding gradient factors are shown for reference, but cannot be edited directly.
Low conservatism means longer NDL times and less decompression. High conservatism means shorter NDL
times and more decompression.
The Low setting is similar to PADI and NOAA no-stop time tables for air and nitrox diving.

What's interesting is that the tech mode default is 30/70, which is more conservative than the rec HIGH

What's interesting is that the tech mode default is 30/70, which is more conservative than the rec HIGH
Yup. Caught me out the first time I used it. 100’ dive and I went into “deco” while everyone else was still faaaaar from NDL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom