Shearwater Predator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep Howard - you're right...I gave my opinion and you gave yours. How dare I differ from yours. :idk:

You should

a) re-read your own posts.
2) re-read the Original Post.

The OP asked for opinions from people who have actually dived this computer. I am one of those people. You are just a guy who read the manual, but obviously knows more about diving it and how complex it is than I do.

To the original poster - I suggest you heavily weigh your need for such a robust computer at the moment. Talk to several instructors that actually teach AN/DP if you really believe you are on that path. Find out what they suggest. My guess is they will align more closely with my suggestions.

Or... instead of talking to a bunch of blowhard divemasters who really don't know what the heck they're talking about. He can listen to actual divers who dive the computer, and have dived many other computers as well.

Good luck and dive dive dive!!!
Either way. Yeah. That's where I'm going right now.

A dive watch still costs money, and doesn't provide a depth backup like gauge mode does

Gas and food on the way to the dive site still costs money too. This also doesn't address the question. But thanks. :wink:

I'd give the same advice anywhere. The dive computer the OP asked about isn't complicated to use. It's simple. 2 buttons. Nice and easy. Reasonably priced, and probably the last dive computer the guy will ever need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd give the same advice anywhere. The dive computer the OP asked about isn't complicated to use. It's simple. 2 buttons. Nice and easy. Reasonably priced, and probably the last dive computer the guy will ever need.

Whose bickering? I offered advice and provided my logic behind it. You're the one to slam my objective advice. I didn't question your post even though I disagree with it. Others have posted both sides and seems no one else has an agenda on the topic.

I have no skin in the game. It's a logical thought process. Buy a computer that fits your needs, but allows you to continue to use it as a backup or BT as you progress. Upgrade it later if you determine it's needed. The OP is really 3-5 years from ready for AN/DP if he's like 99% of the dive community and does it as a hobby. It's a very good possibility he'll never pursue tech diving and may well have wasted a huge amount of money on gear that's not needed.

I do read a lot about diving. I also dive a lot. I don't work for a shop and I don't sell gear. I never told the guy to buy the computer the shop was pushing. I told him get get one with functionality that would allow him to use it in tech diving. I think the Shearwater is a great computer. I also think it's overkill for a brand new OW diver that can make an informed decision by purchasing a computer that will take to thru the course he mentioned. That's my opinion. I respect your right to disagree.

Howard do you own stock in Shearwater? :)

Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone has one and no one wants to hear it.

For the price of the Shearwater the guy can get a BP/wing, nice single tank reg set up and the $300 computer.

If he wants to pay the money for a Shearwater then that's his choice. I'm offering advice for the budget conscience.

BTW. I bought a $280 computer for my first computer. I use it on tech dives, in gauge mode.

DUDE, he didn't ask about a bp/wing. he asked about a great computer. The simple answer is, YES BUY IT, IT'S GREAT AND YOU WON'T NEED ANOTHER COMPUTER FOR 10+ Years.

Do you have stock in ****tie gear?

my $0.02 I have less than 15 dives and was going to buy a predator after my first 4, why? The guy at the dive shop agreed it would be the last computer I would have to buy and he full believes and supports spending a little extra up front to save money down the road. (since I'd like to get into cave diving here eventually) Why I didnt buy it? My wife would have cut my balls off and nailed them to the bedroom wall as a trophy. I've got to see it in action and if I could have snuck it past the wife I wouldn't think twice. Since then I have bought 4 computers... (doh stay off ebay) and wish I had just been able to get away with the predator the first time...

Look, this is a computer he's interested in. Maybe he won't get into tech diving. Some people just like the best, whether they use it or not. I have the best sewing machine is the best there is... You think i'm worthy of it? Nope.

I've also got a full set of Henkel cuttlery knives. They are about $100ea. Am I great chef. Nope. I barely cook. But why buy less than the best?

Yah, he's 20yrs old, but you have no idea what his finances are. I've got students that are 17 driving lexus and jaguar.

And you do alot of diving? I did more dives last year than you have listed in your avatar.

my $0.02 I have less than 15 dives and was going to buy a predator after my first 4, why? The guy at the dive shop agreed it would be the last computer I would have to buy and he full believes and supports spending a little extra up front to save money down the road. (since I'd like to get into cave diving here eventually) Why I didnt buy it? My wife would have cut my balls off and nailed them to the bedroom wall as a trophy. I've got to see it in action and if I could have snuck it past the wife I wouldn't think twice. Since then I have bought 4 computers... (doh stay off ebay) and wish I had just been able to get away with the predator the first time...

Just reinforces my point.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with buying a lower level computer that can be used down the road as a bottom timer....cheaper than replacing a Uwatec/OMS BT every 5-10 yrs because its not user changeable (if its equally functional and doesn't lock out when bent).

My point was its easy to spend too much much money on computers that you end up reselling on ebay or to a buddy at a loss.

my $0.02 I have less than 15 dives and was going to buy a predator after my first 4, why? The guy at the dive shop agreed it would be the last computer I would have to buy and he full believes and supports spending a little extra up front to save money down the road. (since I'd like to get into cave diving here eventually) Why I didnt buy it? My wife would have cut my balls off and nailed them to the bedroom wall as a trophy. I've got to see it in action and if I could have snuck it past the wife I wouldn't think twice. Since then I have bought 4 computers... (doh stay off ) and wish I had just been able to get away with the predator the first time...

For someone just starting out diving but with big aspirations this is what I would suggest:

Buy something like a Diverite Duo (2 gas nitrox computer with gauge mode). That will work well for recreational diving,most florida cave diving and one gas deco dives (with some attention paid to adding deeper stops as needed)

When/if you start using trimix and/or multiple deco gases get the Predator then. Use the Duo in gauge mode with backup tables in case the Predator fails.

Did you miss the point where I said I already had 4 computers(2 for me and 2 for the wife), I really am not soliciting advice from random people on the internet, I already have everything I need for now, And a list of things que'd at the shop to buy when the next check clears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom