Shearwater Predator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr0undzer0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to hear from anyone who has used one of these computers.

I've heard nothing but good things over at the cave divers forum but I want to know how this computer fairs in open water diving too.

I am not currently a cave diver or wreck diver but that's my direction. I mentioned this computer to the owner of my local dive shop and he said that computers with multigas/trimix/ were overly complicated for open water dives. I don't think I agree, I read the manual and the Predator didn't seem to difficult. I want a wrist mounted computer. I also like the very clear screen the numbers really stand out. My next class is advanced nitrox / decompression.

I've only logged 20 or so dives and only rented computers so far. I'm asking on the forum because I'm hoping it will give insight to actual experience and help me make a informed decision.

I've been using them for quite some time now - I had a Pursuit before the Predator.

I would agree with your LDS person if they were refering to the VR3, but I can't speak for any of the other computers, as I haven't actually used them. (I've seen the X1 used by buddies, but haven't used it myself.)

The computer is overkill in terms of function if you plan to stay only on shallow reefs, but it seems you're interested in going the tech route, from what you said. In that case, it won't be overkill in the future.

Using the Predator for a rec OW dive is dead simple. Everything you need is on teh main screen. Though, you can get extra info, such as temp, time, etc, if you want it with simple button presses.

Gas programming is easy - If you forget to change the computer from air to nitrox before the dive, you can do it mid dive to gain the advantages of the Nitrox for at least part of the dive. That can't be done with a rec computer, as far as I'm aware.

The battery is extremely easy to change, and can be found fairly easily - something also difficult to do with most rec computers.

The only real downside for using it as a rec OW computer is that it is a little bigger than your typical puck style computer. Personally, I don't have a problem with it, as I have large arms - YMMV

Hope this helps!

I'm looking to hear from anyone who has used one of these computers.

I've heard nothing but good things over at the cave divers forum but I want to know how this computer fairs in open water diving too.

I am not currently a cave diver or wreck diver but that's my direction. I mentioned this computer to the owner of my local dive shop and he said that computers with multigas/trimix/ were overly complicated for open water dives. I don't think I agree, I read the manual and the Predator didn't seem to difficult. I want a wrist mounted computer. I also like the very clear screen the numbers really stand out. My next class is advanced nitrox / decompression.

I've only logged 20 or so dives and only rented computers so far. I'm asking on the forum because I'm hoping it will give insight to actual experience and help me make a informed decision.

Before you drop that kind of cash on a computer you may want to research and determine your path. If you are an Adv Nitrox/deco path I'm guessing the instructor will not allow you to use the computer for anything other than a bottom timer while in the class.

With only 20 dives so far I'd suggest you dive some more and spend the $1000 on a great dive trip. Experience will far outweigh a cool computer.

LOVE IT! Had Vr3's for years (two different models) and still believe they are a perfectly good option as a tech computer. However my old eyes were just having too much trouble seeing the numbers lately and a change was in order. Choice came down to the Shearwater or the Liquivision. I just liked the display, the user changeable battery and the price of the Predator better. A good friend got the X1 and while it is a good computer I can't help but point out that it experienced a problem on a recent cave diving trip to florida. I do mostly rebreather wreck dives in the Great Lakes with depths from 150 to 210 and run times between 1 and 2 hours. Bottom temps are typically in the 40's. The Predator has been flawless. Battery life seems to be very good. Operating is very easy (although truthfully I never thought the Vr3 to be nearly as difficult as some people made it sound.) Visibility is outstanding! After the first dive on the Predator which I belive was to 160 for about 30 min bottom time, I experienced a minor niggle (itch) and boosted the GF conservatism which resulted in a slightly longer deco but no more niggles. Some of my buddies still dive Vr3's and differences in the approach to deco in the two units is very apparent. My deep stop is always shallower, the Predator gets me shallower quicker -which is nice when there's a decent thermocline and I'm hanging in 50+ degree water while they're in 40+ degree water. We usually are back together at 20ft although I get there first. Generally I get out a bit quicker than they do -likely the result of less time spent on the deeper stops. The planning software now that its available has really filled the one big hole the computer had. There is one change I would make but I understand why they haven't. I wish ALL the gases were in a file at all times and you just had to turn them on and off for each dive (like the Vr3) rather than having to put them in and take them out for each dive. Just my .O2 worth. YMMV

the predator is awesome. many instructors will encourage you to cut your tables but allow you to use your computer as it was intended & not just as a gauge.

all that said, at 20 dives your next class is *not* an/dp. perhaps at 120, quite reasonably at 220. there's no rush, and i will confidently say you wouldn't pass the class at 20 dives. maybe by 'next' you meant 'next class which will be in 2-3 years' in which case i partially retract the above.

will the predator be a great computer until you get there and through an/dp? absolutely. but since we're talking several years, by then computers will change and you'll likely want the latest & greatest anyway. so spend about $250-300 for a simpler 2 gas computer and the rest on diving. dive dive dive!

The predator for recreational dives is totally fine. Easy to use. Not complicated. Not to mention the numbers and bright and easy to read. I use my predator on just about every recreational dive I do.

I dive this predator alongside an Oceanic OC1, and the profiles are extremely similar, although the Predator doesn't have the 3 minute safety stop built in.

For the price, you'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable to the predator, and with the bluetooth data sync, and availability of firmware updates on a regular basis, the predator is a great buy.

It is a nice advanced computer with all the "attributes" :D

Can you use it for basic recreational diving? Sure .... but it will make you want to do more with it ..... it will scream at you: "give me some Trimix!" :D

We have been working on it since quite some time and have integrated it into our simulator.

We plan to release an online class for the Predator early February (right now we are modifying the simulator to add the possibility to handle multiple diluent tanks for deep CCR dives)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Well the instructor said I could sign up for the class this year asked since I did well in Advanced and Nitrox class. I realize what a challenge it must be. Is the instructor taking a risk? Why would he have no problem teaching me?

@howardE,babyduck,garyd,616fun,sunkmail,divenav.

Thank you for your detailed account of your experience with the computer. These responses are exactly what I was looking for.

Well the instructor said I could sign up for the class this year asked since I did well in Advanced and Nitrox class. I realize what a challenge it must be. Is the instructor taking a risk? Why would he have no problem teaching me?

Friendly advice. An instructor promoting that class to you after 20 dives isn't really helping you. If you've done OW, AOW and Nitrox about 1/2 of your dives have been training dives. Go get some experience and find out what diving is about.

Maybe check out some other instructors as well. I won't rush to judgment on your current instructor, but it never hurts to investigate other teaching philosophy and styles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom