Shearwater Predator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friendly advice. An instructor promoting that class to you after 20 dives isn't really helping you. If you've done OW, AOW and Nitrox about 1/2 of your dives have been training dives. Go get some experience and find out what diving is about.

Maybe check out some other instructors as well. I won't rush to judgment on your current instructor, but it never hurts to investigate other teaching philosophy and styles.

For sure,
I'm in no way challenging baby on this one. Me being new I don't know what to expect when it comes to classes. I'm not a bad diver but I wont lie and say I never thought that I probably should get more exp in different invironments. I did end up cancleing the class a week ago and signing up instead for some dive trips and saving money for equipment. So at least for this year I won't be getting the cert. I'll keep an open mind about next year though :p

zero to hero in less than 50 dives that is a Hot Rod ride I would opt out of. Don't be so quick. I love diving. I shore dive locally in 20' all the time. I still see stuff I have never seen before diving the first reef line. Hell I bet I could snorkel the wave break at the shoreline and see stuff I have never seen before. --- This reminds me of a story.

A very fit 20 year old goes into a Karate Dojo and ask how long will it take me to get a black belt here? The master says about five years of dedicated study and hard work. The 20 yro says, "But I am in a hurry and will work three times harder than anyone else how fast can I get it now?" The master replies.. "oh with this kind of impatience it will take you about 12 years."

Before you drop that kind of cash on a computer you may want to research and determine your path. If you are an Adv Nitrox/deco path I'm guessing the instructor will not allow you to use the computer for anything other than a bottom timer while in the class.

With only 20 dives so far I'd suggest you dive some more and spend the $1000 on a great dive trip. Experience will far outweigh a cool computer.

Why?

It's not just a cool dive computer. It's a great dive computer, and one that will last them for a long time. Would you recommend buying a $300 computer now, then spend another $1000 on a tech computer later?

There's nothing wrong with forward thinking. The guy didn't say he's going out tomorrow to dive the Doria.

Why?

It's not just a cool dive computer. It's a great dive computer, and one that will last them for a long time. Would you recommend buying a $300 computer now, then spend another $1000 on a tech computer later?

There's nothing wrong with forward thinking. The guy didn't say he's going out tomorrow to dive the Doria.

I would recommend he buy a $300 computer. One with gauge mode. That will take him from OW all the way to trimix.

Lets be honest. A $300 computer to have as a backup bottom timer for the Shearwater he'll pick up when he is ready is change compared to the additional gear and training he'll procure to go tech.

I would recommend he buy a $300 computer. One with gauge mode. That will take him from OW all the way to trimix.

Lets be honest. A $300 computer to have as a backup bottom timer for the Shearwater he'll pick up when he is ready is change compared to the additional gear and training he'll procure to go tech.

Or you can just wear a watch as a backup bottom timer, and not buy a computer you don't need at all.

Still IMO not a good reason to NOT buy a Shearwater now. It isn't like you need the rosetta stone to understand it. It's just a dive computer...

Or you can just wear a watch as a backup bottom timer, and not buy a computer you don't need at all.

Still IMO not a good reason to NOT buy a Shearwater now. It isn't like you need the rosetta stone to understand it. It's just a dive computer...

If we split hairs a computer is a novelty for any diving. Tables are available and could be used for both rec and tech diving. He's a 20 yr old kid. $1000 is a lot of money. Why way over buy for something that he'll not NEED for at least a few more years or more?

I'd still suggest buying a $300 computer and spending $700 on getting experience via diving (vacation, local, whatever).

"I wish ALL the gases were in a file at all times and you just had to turn them on and off for each dive"

Hi Gary,

Turning gases off and on is a feature that we intend on adding in the next software release which is coming soon. People that want this feature will have the option of activating it - people that don't can leave it as is. That way, both camps are satisfied.

Regards
Lynn Partridge

If we split hairs a computer is a novelty for any diving. Tables are available and could be used for both rec and tech diving. He's a 20 yr old kid. $1000 is a lot of money. Why way over buy for something that he'll not NEED for at least a few more years or more?

I'd still suggest buying a $300 computer and spending $700 on getting experience via diving (vacation, local, whatever).

A computer is not a novelty. That's really kind of funny that you'd even say that. If you tell me you dive tables to do tech dives, I'd say that's kind of limiting, and also kind of funny.

You can suggest your cheap computer, and then buy another computer... but buying something twice IMO is what I would call wasting money.

Just because he won't use the FULL CAPABILITIES for a few years doesn't mean that it's not a VALUABLE TOOL to use right now. :wink:

A computer is not a novelty. That's really kind of funny that you'd even say that. If you tell me you dive tables to do tech dives, I'd say that's kind of limiting, and also kind of funny.

You can suggest your cheap computer, and then buy another computer... but buying something twice IMO is what I would call wasting money.

Just because he won't use the FULL CAPABILITIES for a few years doesn't mean that it's not a VALUABLE TOOL to use right now. :wink:

I have to agree that in a cave system where you may not know your dive profile and may only know a max depth tables would be a pain in the ass. Since you might spend most of your time going through a part that is much more shallow. I believe you should plan your dives / contingencies using tables first and your computer as an aide. But there are some unknowns you can't possibly account for. What about unknown territory?

When I do tec dives... I usually cut a table (as a backup), but dive my computer (Predator)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom