Shearwater quality control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that if the OP takes a big breath, sends Shearwater the pics they're asking for, and is patient and polite

How do you know he wasn't?

How do you know he wasn't?
In post #44 he said he decided to return the computer for a refund. I don't blame him. But if he was interested in knowing what Shearwater was going to do about it, he didn't give them much of a chance.

I'm as puzzled as others here as to why the OP posted here before following through with Shearwater to whatever conclusion of the matter.

He simply stated that people should not rely on Q check list and inspect their equipment themselves:

Make sure you check your computer thoroughly because the quality checklist card that comes with it is useless.

It is VERY simple and extremely clear to me.

In post #44 he said he decided to return the computer for a refund. I don't blame him. But if he was interested in knowing what Shearwater was going to do about it, he didn't give them much of a chance.

He doesn't have to wait for SW to decide, he wants his refund now. That's fair enough.

He simply stated that people should not rely on Q check list and inspect their equipment themselves:
Of course. That is good advice for anything you buy. When you open the box, inspect the thing. Nothing special about Shearwater. I would imagine Shearwater's quality control is subject to glitches just like any other company's.

He doesn't have to wait for SW to decide, he wants his refund now. That's fair enough.
I would have done the same thing.

I don't think anyone would disagree witht that and in the end he did exactly what he should have done, contacted and return to store he purchased it from. It was still brand new.
IMO, I would only have contacted Shearwater if it developed a problem atfter being used,

Of course. That is good advice for anything you buy. When you open the box, inspect the thing. Nothing special about Shearwater. I would imagine Shearwater's quality control is subject to glitches just like any other company's.
In my case, I came across that checklist once I have finished checking it out (or geeking out). I didn't put much weight on it, to be honest.

I would only have contacted Shearwater if it developed a problem atfter being used,
Exactly. DiveTronix is a service center, not Shearwater itself. One reason to buy from an "authorized demo center" (i.e., authorized dealer) is they must stand behind what they sell. They sold him what he claimed was a defective computer; they own the problem. When he finally went to them -- as he should have in the first place -- they responded as they should have, and refunded him. Problem solved.

He appears to be upset likely because he interprets DiveTronix's request for more info as impuning his integrity and honesty. His bitch here was also questioned...and he has not really been very forthcoming about what the problem really was. It was described as a "weird smudge" buttressed by an inadequate picture, and no info beyond that. He is upset because he is being questioned; it is mainly an ego problem, not a computer problem.

Exactly. DiveTronix is a service center, not Shearwater itself. One reason to buy from an "authorized demo center" (i.e., authorized dealer) is they must stand behind what they sell. They sold him what he claimed was a defective computer; they own the problem. When he finally went to them -- as he should have in the first place -- they responded as they should have, and refunded him. Problem solved.

He appears to be upset likely because he interprets DiveTronix's request for more info as impuning his integrity and honesty. His bitch here was also questioned...and he has not really been very forthcoming about what the problem really was. It was described as a "weird smudge" buttressed by an inadequate picture, and no info beyond that. He is upset because he is being questioned; it is mainly an ego problem, not a computer problem.
Are you serious? Why do I need to know what the issue is? Inadequate picture? The smudge can only be seen at certain angle with the right amount of light on it. It was extremely hard to take that picture.

Here is a video for you. Sorry if it is inadequate for your standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom