Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After the first several battery failures I stopped using any charger (this has been covered before) and only charged using a battery pack with QI charger, it shuts down as soon as it hits full charge, SW has seemed to fix the battery issue but they are still leading user down the same path. Do whatever you want but this is how I did it, only charge when it gets to 20% or so.

After the first several battery failures I stopped using any charger (this has been covered before) and only charged using a battery pack with QI charger, it shuts down as soon as it hits full charge, SW has seemed to fix the battery issue but they are still leading user down the same path. Do whatever you want but this is how I did it, only charge when it gets to 20% or so.

Thanks for mentioning that again. I got one of those power banks that I think it was you that recommended. I just got both of my Teric batteries replaced and I need to remember to start using that now for charging them.

Which QI charger do you use?

1706582355078.png

To me, this still means that Shearwater has not really fixed the issue. I also find it hard to believe that SW would continue to replace Teric batteries for free (and multiple times for many) if there is a fix like this ? Regardless, following the manufacturer’s guidance can hardly be called user error!!!

Also, my assumption (maybe incorrect) was that the SW charger shuts off when the unit hits 100 and starts blinking? If not, and your solution works, then it’s really disappointing that SW has not updated their charging guidance!

I just sent SW a question on how their charger behaves and will report back when they respond.

To me, this still means that Shearwater has not really fixed the issue. I also find it hard to believe that SW would continue to replace Teric batteries for free (and multiple times for many) if there is a fix like this ? Regardless, following the manufacturer’s guidance can hardly be called user error!!!

Also, my assumption (maybe incorrect) was that the SW charger shuts off when the unit hits 100 and starts blinking? If not, and your solution works, then it’s really disappointing that SW has not updated their charging guidance!

I just sent SW a question on how their charger behaves and will report back when they respond.
My 6 and 7 year old Terics did not get a FREE battery replacement. I paid.

My 6 and 7 year old Terics did not get a FREE battery replacement. I paid.
Thanks - I figured they'd eventually start charging - but had you had high drain issues with those 2 units previously? If so, it's a shame to have to pay when there is clearly an issue with the Teric battery or charging system. How much was the battery replacement?

I ask as I recall SW saying at launch that the Teric battery should be good for 5 years after which time they could be replaced at a SW Service Center.

BTW, a 7 year old Teric would be impressive given that they first shipped in late Spring of 2018 :wink:

Shearwater's Customer service is awesome! They already responded to my query (in 1 hour!!) and confirmed what I assumed about their charger behavior (it does stop charging when Teric is 100% so it won’t overcharge).

Based on that, I really don't see how a non-Shearwater Qi charger and a battery pack could be any better for the Teric's battery?

Teric 2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom