Question Sheck Exley's Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Antonios (Holy Diver)
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was reading about Sheck Exley's last dive in Zacaton. The Wikipedia article stated that his wrist mounted dive computer showed a maximum depth of 276 meters. Sheck Exley - Wikipedia Does anybody know what kind or brand of dive computer was it? I was a bit surprised that in early 90s there were DC's capable of withstanding such depths. I wonder also about the role of a first generation, air- only, dive computer in such an extreme, multi-gas dive. Were there any trimix dive computers then? Thanks in advance for your time and bits of information!

Do you believe that maybe was a special model, modified especially for Exley's needs?
I have no idea what he was using, just commenting on a product I believe was available back then. I got a Cochran in the early 90's as it was one I found that no matter how badly you screwed up, it would keep calculating solutions and not lock you out like many others. It was those years the company had earned a Military contract. They had a few offerings then...

I'm sure there were others...

I have no idea what he was using, just commenting on a product I believe was available back then. I got a Cochran in the early 90's as it was one I found that no matter how badly you screwed up, it would keep calculating solutions and not lock you out like many others. It was those years the company had earned a Military contract. They had a few offerings then...

I'm sure there were others...
AFAIK, the first Suuntos , Aladdins and Orca Edge were also available. But I suppose a dive at 270+ meters would be a traumatic event (for a Suunto...)

The "non-military" model of the Commander was listed in their literature to have a functional range to 327'. They also state it will operate below that...

No idea what the non-civilian model would have been capable of back then.

as also said, I have no idea what he was using on his dive(s).

The "non-military" model of the Commander was listed in their literature to have a functional range to 327'. They also state it will operate below that...

No idea what the non-civilian model would have been capable of back then.

as also said, I have no idea what he was using on his dive(s).

It was marketed through Sherwood first but Cochran went direct shortly afterwards and Sherwood stopped distributing it. I have had one from their first computers on the market and continued to buy their new models until circa 2006. They were unreliable in first 4 years but quality improved afterwards. I was a big dealer for them until I closed my dive center in NY to move to Libya in 2004.

They were the first to bring hoseles AI dive computers to the market AFAIK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom