Question Sheck Exley's Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Antonios (Holy Diver)
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was reading about Sheck Exley's last dive in Zacaton. The Wikipedia article stated that his wrist mounted dive computer showed a maximum depth of 276 meters. Sheck Exley - Wikipedia Does anybody know what kind or brand of dive computer was it? I was a bit surprised that in early 90s there were DC's capable of withstanding such depths. I wonder also about the role of a first generation, air- only, dive computer in such an extreme, multi-gas dive. Were there any trimix dive computers then? Thanks in advance for your time and bits of information!

My cave instructor used to run tables for Exley. So he was most likely on tables, and his "dive computer" was something like a scubapro digital bottom timer.
Hmmm. Exley wrote some of his own decompression software. I did my IANTD Deep Air and Advanced Deep Air certs in the mid-1990's. My instructor had a copy of Exley's "X something or other" DOS-based software that he used for generating our training dive profiles. We wore Cochran Nemesis Nitrox II computers to record the dives, but dove the "X"-generated profiles. (We made sure to clear our Cochran's, though.)

At that time several experienced Great Lakes extended range divers were using Dive Rite (Nitek?) computers.

I never knew if Exley wrote software for helium diving, but I suspect he did.

ETA: I think the name of Exley's software was "Dr. X".

rx7diver

If i recall correctly, on "caverns measureless for Man" he Said was using a Casio digital watch for running time, and thr line was marked, but i guess, from some pictures, he was using Ana Alladin also, and they were all oil filled at the factory

Hmmm. Exley wrote some of his own decompression software. I did my IANTD Deep Air and Advanced Deep Air certs in the mid-1990's. My instructor had a copy of Exley's "X something or other" DOS-based software that he used for generating our training dive profiles. We wore Cochran Nemesis Nitrox II computers to record the dives, but dove the "X"-generated profiles. (We made sure to clear our Cochran's, though.)

At that time several experienced Great Lakes extended range divers were using Dive Rite (Nitek?) computers.

I never knew if Exley wrote software for helium diving, but I suspect he did.

ETA: I think the name of Exley's software was "Dr. X".

rx7diver
That makes excellent sense, and answers my question about the role of DCs back then. Thank you!

A pretty detailed report to that tragic incident you can find in Bret Gilliams Deep Air Diver Bible from 1995:
'Deep Diving
An advanced Guide to Physiology, Procedures and Systems'
A must read for all

Back
Top Bottom