Shelter in Place Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're like the very few of us left who actually don't take their phone every single place they go.
Question-- I don't pay for anything except phone calls & texting (no internet, no data, etc.). Can my phone still be "tracked" if I take it with me?

If you don’t want to be really tracked, you probably have to remove the battery when you are not using the phone and use burner phones, which are not associated to any ID and throw them regularly ?

You’ll be tracked but the points cannot be linked together and not to you.

You’ll have to make sure that you buy them in cash or some way that it cannot be traced to you easily.

I guess it depends how much you care about being possibly tracked ...

here in Canada you cant buy burner phones ,

here in Canada you cant buy burner phones ,
That's kind of shameful. The reason they exist is for poor people who otherwise couldn't afford a phone, probably have bad (or no) credit etc. Some people do exploit them to nefarious ends. Just as some people use cash (or cars, or anything else you can think of) for nefarious purposes.

I guess it depends how much you care about being possibly tracked ...

RFID chips don't require own power source. If you have one stuck in/on your phone (or anywhere; I have one in my university ID card), it'll ping every time you walk past an RFID reader. Removing batteries won't help. They don't have much of a range, OTOH they aren't exactly hard to come by. Build Your Own RFID Reader

Tinfoil wallet is your friend. Also hat.

RFID chips don't require own power source. If you have one stuck in/on your phone (or anywhere; I have one in my university ID card), it'll ping every time you walk past an RFID reader. Removing batteries won't help. They don't have much of a range, OTOH they aren't exactly hard to come by. Build Your Own RFID Reader

Many of those RFID blocking wallets are a scam. I bought one once because I was actually having a problem tripping the door lock on my lab at work when I get within a couple feet. I keep my card key in my wallet. The RFID blocking wallet didn't do a darn thing.

Yea I assumed that you would take a dumb phone too.

I guess I should care more about my privacy but I don’t really ...

Many of those RFID blocking wallets are a scam. I bought one once because I was actually having a problem tripping the door lock on my lab at work when I get within a couple feet. I keep my card key in my wallet. The RFID blocking wallet didn't do a darn thing.

:D In my regular wallet a couple layers of cards is enough to block some of the door readers, and I'm not the only one. We have people standing near doors rubbing their a**es on the wall all over the place -- had, before the quarantine.

I keep mine in the cargo pocket so I do the "dog marking territory" stance instead. I don't come to work with "a little captain in me" so it can't be that. (And besides, Costco rum is soooo much better.)

Yea I assumed that you would take a dumb phone too.

I guess I should care more about my privacy but I don’t really ...
Dumb phones won't solve the problem really. Any phone has to connect with a tower. Phones almost always connect to multiple towers simultaneously. Triangulation is the trivial matter of correlating signal levels from the log produced by a couple of those towers. That's assuming you're worried about your carrier (or any other, since your phone will talk to other towers) or a government body accessing your location. Acquiring location data directly from a smartphone log makes less legwork and probably fewer court orders.. hence why law enforcement is always interested in that stuff. Personally I don't worry about any of that. I do worry about businesses (google, apple, Samsung, etc etc) having the data because typically businesses like that suck at security. Find one that doesn't have a press release about customer data being exposed in the past few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom