Sherwood Avid bcd has the smallest pin hole leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judothrow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
has 6 logged dives, clean throughly after every use and like new, took out of cabinet washed it up and inflated it. 2 days later I noticed it was slightly low. It took several times of inflating and dipping in a tub to finally find it has the smallest and I mean smallest pinhole leak (if not smaller) like a fine particle like fiz. What do you think should be done to this, it never sustained any damage, so my guess is it was manufactured this was with an inperfection or your guess is as good as mine? any solutions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Last edited:
has 6 logged dives, clean throughly after every use and like new, took out of cabinet washed it up and inflated it. 2 days later I noticed it was slightly low. It took several times of inflating and dipping in a tub to finally find it has the smallest and I mean smallest pinhole leak (if not smaller) like a fine particle like fiz. What do you think should be done to this, it never sustained any damage, so my guess is it was manufactured this was with an inperfection or your guess is as good as mine? any solutions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Purchase it at an authorized dealer? If so take it back and see what can be done. If it is determined that nothing can be done for you get yourself some aquaseal cement and a "little dab "will do you..

Purchase it at an authorized dealer? If so take it back and see what can be done. If it is determined that nothing can be done for you get yourself some aquaseal cement and a "little dab "will do you..

Exactly

a little dab will do you, just apply over the material on the outside of bc, won't that leave an unsightly mess or glue spot to the exterior of bc and will that stuff actually penetrate the bladder from underneath the material.

Or just leave it alone. A tiny stream of bubbles is not enough to worry about if you don't have much air in the BC while diving...and if you do you are overweighted and need to correct that.

A tiny stream of bubbles that lets a BC get soft over night will not be noticeable on a dive. Plus it might work as an automatic BC. As you consume air from the tank, you get lighter, so a BC that is loosing a little air might compensate for it.:wink::wink::wink:

Just out of curiosity have you traveled on a plane with this BCD? I was reading somewhere that TSA inspectors use a probe to poke into sealed membranes for some reason.

have not traveled on airplane and if this had been poked with anything it would have bigger bubbles, this is like the smallest stream of mist bubbles you could ever imagine, almost looks like a tiny line of steam coming out.

Modern BCDs do not have a separate bladder, the nylon is coated on the inside to make it air tight. It is more than likely that the tiny tiny fizz that you see is the result of a flaw during the manufacture of the basic materials. Aqua seal will work great but do not just stick the end of the tube onto the BC. Since your leak is so small, take a toothpick and stick it into the aqua seal and then use the point of the toothpick to transfer the tiniest amount to your BCD, do NOT smear it, just use the point to gently "scratch" the glue onto the surface. If you do not get too enthusiastic with the glue, the repair will be almost invisible. I have used this method with good results, hope this helps and Happy Holidays Scott

You could also use a waterbed repair kit.
They work great.
I used on to repair the Sherwood Freedom I used when I first started diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom