Sherwood Brut age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marty14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi; I have just purchased this Sherwood Brut on e-bay for $60. It looks pretty clean and has paperwork that it has just come out of service.
But I would like to more about it.
Also when has this particular model of Sherwood Brut been made ? :confused:
It is hard to track down information regarding it on the net and any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Marty :)

Picture_2_reduced.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 2 reduced.jpg
    Picture 2 reduced.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 263
That's the model before the new current model.
Made for a long time.....mid to late 90's to 2011 or 12.
The gauges might be a little older.

Its a simple flow-by unbalanced piston with Sherwoods unique dry bleed system to environmentally seal the 1st stage.
....make sure this is working, attach to a tank and look for a small leak of air from the black rubber plug on the 1st stage.

Thank you. Well at least it is not that ancient. Gauges are older I agree, but they look like they are working. Well I am about to take it to Cairns in Australia for a dive trip. So lets see.
I have checked dry bleed system and it is working fine.
But I guess they got that in the service.
It is my first Sherwood, had mainly Scubapro, Oceanic and US Divers (Aqualung) up until now so it will be an experience.

Sometimes they mess it up during service because they don't understand.

I've done dozens of dives in Jamaica using this reg. It's breaths fine and is built using the KISS principal.

I think Fishpie may be a bit off in the dating. The new Sherwoods look like this, while the older ones look like this, yours is the series before it. So I would date it from the mid-to-late 90s to maybe the mid 2000's or so. Sherwoods are good because the parts are inexpensive and they are bulletproof. Also you can upgrade your Brut to a Magnum by replacing the spacers in the first stage with washers.

....it's just a facelift to the 2nd stage cover.
But you're right it'll be pre 05/6

I did find a picture on Google, but it has this cover and a large exhaust tee. This one has a small tee. Very similar to the current ones.
Strange.
Also it was mentioned that it could be converted to a magnum.
How is this done ?
Is there a kit available ?
But most of all is it worth it ?

It can be converted to a Magnum by putting in the moveable orifice (a stack of 5 cupped washers) but why bother, it'll only be an advantage at very low tank pressures.
It's a low cost reg and a favorite for rental.
It may be worth about $100.....depending on your location.

.....they came with narrow or wide exhaust T's.

Last edited:
I have one, probably early 90s, looks a lot like that. Mine has something wrong with it and breathes horribly.
I'd love to find it a new home.

I had a late 80's version Magnum a friend gave me back in 93 or so. I used it as my primary and it was an ok breather nothing special. When I moved to PA I took it to a dive shop for a rebuild which was done by the owner of the shop. It breathed much better after he tuned it.

Back
Top Bottom