sherwood oasis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the Oasis was a cold-water regulator in the beginning. The moisture retention fins helped in reducing ice formation.

It became a hit in the in the warmer areas for it's moisture recycling qualities. Sherwood then renamed it to the Oasis.

According to my local Sherwood rep.

Umm.. the rep needs to look at the specs methinks. Although the Oasis may have STARTED as a cold water reg, it does not have the heat sink in the 2nd stage which the Blizzard has always contained. Otherwise the two regs are pretty much the same.

~SubMariner~
still has a Blizzard from 1991

california once bubbled...
LP does not have the exact warranty as the manufacturer. Call LP and ask them, they will be honest and state that they offer gray market gear, without the manufacturer's direct warranty. As a result it is not the exact same thing. Buying the regulator from a LDS gets you the manufacturer's warranty. Thats why LP offers you their own personal warranty. LP's warranty is only good with LP. At least the Sherwood warranty is honored at any LDS.

California

If the seller is agreeing to do "exactly" the same as what the manufacturer's warrenty claims it will do, then those warranties are the same.

LP will fulfill whatever the manufacturer states in their warranty through their store.

Quit spreading incorrect information because you are beginning to sound like you have an agenda.

The informed buyer will look at all of their choices and make an INFORMED decision based on their preference.

This poster has a choice between the LDS and several internet companies...each has arguable merits and detriments. Hopefully since we have cut through some of the crap that was posted earlier, a good decision can be arrived at an the poster will get a decent piece of equipment for a fair price (oh yes...and with a warranty that they can trust)

Oasis 2 is an OK reg.

The package they are offering you is OK, not great...OK.

Things you should know about leisure pro
1. Great prices
2. Their OWN Warranty - which is great - sometimes exceeding the MFGs, however, IMO, it is NOT the same as MFGs because you have to send it back to LP.
3. If you buy a reg. an octo, a BC and gauges/computer, they will give you some sort of discount. Not sure where you can find it on the WEB site but it is in the front of the catalog. Usually it is throwing in a reg bag and knocking off a few bucks - better than a stick in the eye!

Check this out, from LP
Zeagle Escape BC - 290
Apeks ATX40 Reg - 200
Genesis 3 Gauge Con- 135
Oceanic Slimline SS - 50
Total 675

For $40 more swap Zeagle Concept II for escape
For $65 more swap Genesis Resource Computer/Console for Genesis 3 Gauge Cons.

I have personally used all the above gear except the Genesis 3 Gauge Con. None of it's junk. Might want to check the IP pressures between Apeks and Oceanic.

This is before any negotiated "package discounts"

This is NOT an endorsement of LP. You said you were looking at LP, all I'm saying is look closer.

Im looking at sherwood because i have been told they are very dependable, not the best, but they wont let you down. The price is ok too.

SubMariner once bubbled...

Umm.. the rep needs to look at the specs methinks. Although the Oasis may have STARTED as a cold water reg, it does not have the heat sink in the 2nd stage which the Blizzard has always contained. Otherwise the two regs are pretty much the same.

Well, as I understand it, the oasis and the blizzard are the exact same reg...the blizzard just has a grey cover. The "moisture retention" fins are the exact same thing as the "heat sink" that sherwood designed. They both have a sealed first stage piston and are practically bulletproof for anything less than 120 ft.

I personally use a magnum...this past weekend it saw 43 degrees and never even hiccuped. Sherwood makes a solid reg, but I've never had one past 120' which is where I understand the breathing performance drops off.

Okay. Lets put this one to rest.

1) Leisure Pro is NOT an Authorized dealer of Sherwood Products. Any warranty they may or may not offer is 100% of thier own doing. If you have a problem with your piece of gear I can't speak for how it will get handled.

If your LDS, or Authorized Dealer of your choice, has a problem with a piece of gear they are going to call ME about it and find out what to do. It may get replaced. It may get repaired, but you will be comforted in the fact that the Technical Support Department at Sherwood, with 23+ years of experience with the gear, and if necessary, the engineers at Sherwood who design the gear, had something to do with the decision on your piece of gear. Not some box packer who will just cut his losses and send out another piece of gear hoping the problem is not on this one as well.

Again, I can't speak for how LP will handle your problem, but a great example of what you DO pay for at your LDS is this. Per chance, IF your reg had low IP during it's second Warranty Service (what you won't get if you purchase your reg from LP), the Authorized Sherwood Technician can diagnose if it needs a new spring, cap, or bellville washers. Or maybe just a shim. If they get stuck, they can, and often do call me for more intricate advice on how to make your piece of gear work the way it's supposed to. If worse comes to worse, I will authorize it's replacement but not before I check the new piece to ensure it does not also have the same trouble. I cannot speak for what LP or any other Non-authorized dealer knows or does not know, but I can assure you that this level of support does not exist for them when they get stuck.

2) The Oasis is indeed a regulator that was designed with cold water conditions in mind originally a LONG time ago. Longer than MOST (Note I said MOST, not ALL) of you have been diving, and some have been alive. The moisture retention fins were a bit of an accidental find that are designed to combat dry mouth, and have never been advertised as a solution for it. I know we haven't argued that here, but it comes up on this board all the time. The ONLY difference today between the Blizzard and the Oasis is a couple parts in the 2nd stage of the Blizzard are treated in a manor to make them more resistant to freezing up in extreme cold water conditions. Both 2nd stages have the same exact parts in them, and you can make an Oasis into a Blizzard and a Blizzard into an Oasis by simply trading parts. Neither regulator has any additional parts that the other does not have.

Have a great day and enjoy your gear what ever you choose to dive with!

aquasport once bubbled...
Im looking at sherwood because i have been told they are very dependable, not the best, but they wont let you down. The price is ok too.

Sherwood IS very dependable. So is Apeks, ScubPro, Oceanic, Mares, Aqualung, Zeagle, Atomic and a host of other companies whose names escape me at the moment.

Hi folks

I'm new to this board, just back from a week diving in the Florida Keys with my family (checkouts for the kids), now shopping for equipment for 4 -

Years ago I had a Poseidon Cyclon 300 regulator but sold it during a hiatus from diving. I've begun looking at regulators again (haven't tried any yet except loaner college equipment - Sherwood bottom on the line)

Needless to say since we have to buy 4 packages we are sensitive to cost - From specs and price it looks like the Sherwood Oasis might be right for us. We do not anticipate ever doing cold water or nitrox dives.

There was a store in Key Largo (Scuba Outlet - a.k.a. Sea Quest USA) Their prices for Cressi fins were great 40% below what we paid locally for the same fins - does anyone have any info on this dealer and advice on purchasing from an out of state dealer vs. local shop.

I am also curious what is 'LP' in this discussion - I figure LDS is 'licensed dive shop' and not the Mormon abbreviation.

Thanks in advance,

ScubaMom

cameokid once bubbled...
Hi folks

I'm new to this board, just back from a week diving in the Florida Keys with my family (checkouts for the kids), now shopping for equipment for 4 -

Years ago I had a Poseidon Cyclon 300 regulator but sold it during a hiatus from diving. I've begun looking at regulators again (haven't tried any yet except loaner college equipment - Sherwood bottom on the line)

Needless to say since we have to buy 4 packages we are sensitive to cost - From specs and price it looks like the Sherwood Oasis might be right for us. We do not anticipate ever doing cold water or nitrox dives.

There was a store in Key Largo (Scuba Outlet - a.k.a. Sea Quest USA) Their prices for Cressi fins were great 40% below what we paid locally for the same fins - does anyone have any info on this dealer and advice on purchasing from an out of state dealer vs. local shop.

I am also curious what is 'LP' in this discussion - I figure LDS is 'licensed dive shop' and not the Mormon abbreviation.

Thanks in advance,

ScubaMom

LP stands for Leisure Pro . It is an online dive shop where people purchase scuba equipment.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Well, as I understand it, the oasis and the blizzard are the exact same reg...the blizzard just has a grey cover. The "moisture retention" fins are the exact same thing as the "heat sink" that sherwood designed. They both have a sealed first stage piston and are practically bulletproof for anything less than 120 ft.

I personally use a magnum...this past weekend it saw 43 degrees and never even hiccuped. Sherwood makes a solid reg, but I've never had one past 120' which is where I understand the breathing performance drops off.

Took 2 Sherwood Oasis regulators to 139' a week ago in the Bahamas. Neither showed any signs of problems. Made several dives in the 100-120 range also with them and had no problems either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom