sherwood oasis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The difference between the 2 is this:

The Oasis has the moisture retention fins in the 2nd stage and 2 HP ports on the first stage.

The Magnum has no moisture retention fins in the 2nd stage, and 1 HP port on the 1st stage.

Both are balanced first stage regs.

I have an Oasis myself, and I bought my daughter a Magnum. I have faith in both.

Enjoy!

Shrwd,

Love the insights you have been bringing to this post...thanks.

Working on getting a used magnum for a backup for my Oasis regs. Glad to hear that people say its a decent reg.

shrwdtech once bubbled...
The difference between the 2 is this:

The Oasis has the moisture retention fins in the 2nd stage and 2 HP ports on the first stage.

Someone said - probably you - that Oasis moisture retention fins started life as an anti-freezing device and the moisture retention was an added bonus.

If that's the case - wouldn't all second stages with metal to aid in anti-freezing also help in moisture retention?

Knavey,

Thank you. I try to keep my responses as generic and geared to informative as possible. I get blasted from time to time for being biased, anyway. I make no bones about being a bit on the slanted side with my preferences, based on who I work for, but honestly have been a Sherwood fan for going on 23 years. There are lots of good choices out there these days, and as a instructor/course director first, I am most geared towards people knowing what they need/want and being comfortable with their choices. If it turns out to be a Sherwood or Genesis product in the end, then I'm just a bit more pleased.

Glub,

Yes. When 2nd stages were all metal (there are a few around still) the same reactions occurred. You would get condensate on the inside caused by the fact that you'd inhale cooler air from your cylinder, and exhale warmer air from your lungs. The effect is similar to that of putting a cold glass of water on a picnic table on a warm day. Condensation forms on the outside of the glass. As far as not freezing up is concerned there are several points where that could occur, the valve on your 2nd stage only being one of them.

Well pretty much at least. I got the Oasis,the Avid, Sherwood's Octo and a ReAct (3guage console) computer from DiveUS.com. They are an authorized Sherwood dealer, since they have a retail store in San Diego as well. I also did a "package" deal with them and spent just under $900 a year or so ago. They were a good outfit, and the retail store made me feel like I could go somewhere and complain, even if it was 6 hours away. The gear is great! I have no complaints. Took the BC and the Oasis to about 100 fsw on the Speigel Grove in May and it was fine. I am sure that you could get better breathing performance for a thousand or so bucks, but for the money, I think that the Sherwood is a good buy. The BC is ALWAYS comfortable. First time, every time. No "ride up", the weight system is excellent ( just put the pouches in BEFORE you put the BC on), and the pockets give you enough room to put all the stuff newer divers want to bring to make themselves feel better (granola bar, picture of mom, dive tables, bottom timer, light stick, cell phone, etc...). Overall, I am VERY happy with the purchase. I should tell you, though, that I have only done warm water diving with the Oasis (not because I didn't trust it, I just don't like cold water!). If you have any specific questions regarding the gear, just ask me. You can PM me or keep it in the board.

Also, I won't yell at you for picking one retailer over another. I use LDS AND online. Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom