Sherwood Source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schmisl

Registered
Reaction score
I have an older Sherwood Souce computer which is a non user-replaceable battery model. What is the probability of replacing this battery by the user?

Thanks

FYI.....

Well, after a few days of wondering, I took my computer and decided to see how hard the battery would be to replace.
I made a tool to unscrew the small cover on the back.
Found out that this was the pressure sensor and put the cover back on.
I figured out that the ring around the bottom actually unscrewed.
Took that off and pulled the bottom half of the computer away from the top half. An o-ring seals the backplate to the clear front cover. Also there is a small ribbon cable connecting the two halves of the computer, so you can only separate the halves so far. This, I found out is where the battery is.
The battery is a 3.6v 1/2 AA lithium that is available at any Radio Shack or one of these new "Batteries R Us" stores for about $10.50. There is no soldering required. Just pull out the old battery and put in the new one. I decided I should change out the little desicant pouch found inside plus inspect and lube the o-ring with some silicone gel. I reassembled the whole thing and it works just like new.
What I don't understand about this whole thing is that how did the manufacturer justify charging around $80 to do this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom