Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave you know there are a lot of youtube clips of people rinsing. I am sure if you put one one we would all watch it. LOL We would say it was gross, but we would watch and send the link to others. :)

Not a good idea. The water could have a contaminant. 2 people in Louisiana just died from something like this using fresh water. The mucous is there for a reason- to prevent bacteria and viruses from infecting our bodies.

shmuggy, two people out of millions. Have you even read the whole thread by the way? Do you know what has happened to people right here on this board that don't know each other who have started rinsing?

The story should be about a municipal water source not properly purifying their water. Those amoebas could also get into peoples noses by taking a shower.

At any rate, I was totally sick all the time and in a normal year would take between 8-10 rounds of antibiotics and never ever felt well. Now I feel well all the time. As a result, I have been able to do more things, increase my physical activity, lose weight, etc.

More people will die from the flu this year than rinsing. When I rinse, I don't get the flu or a sinus infection. The drug companies want to hype those deaths because it will scare people off from rinsing. The more people rinse the less need for drugs. I am off Rx's, my mom is, several of my friends are, several people in this thread.

I will glady pay my $1.59 per year for my box of pure canning salt and leave all the other chemicals behind. The drug companies and my doc have lost a lot of $$ on me since I started rinsing. The ENT lost a $20,000 plus surgery on the deal. I was desperate enough to be at the point where I was going to let them do it. The ENT told me when I was ready to be done being sick all the time, he was ready to operate. I actually had the surgery scheduled and put it off to give rinsing a shot.

Morton's Salt has made 3 boxes time $1.59= $4.77 (Walmart got part of that profit) And CVS and AYR got $10.58 out of me two times. I wanted a spare bottle. So I have spent about $30 including my gas to go pick up the stuff. If you count the toilet paper to blow my nose, maybe another $30-60? I like to blow several times per cycle. I am under $100 for the whole rinsing adventure.

I would have had I not started rinsing 51 months ago
$20,000 for surgery
$150 per month on drugs to just to control the junk in head $150 x 51 =$7650 per year total
Antibiotics 8-10 rounds per year $100 per pop $900 per year total
6 visits to my doc per year at $100 per pop $600 per year total
Total savings $29150.00- minus rinsing costs of $100= $29,050
That is an average of $569.61 per month.
These are real numbers I can prove.

Now if you count what I have saved or regained in productivity and no lost time at work as a result of being healthy again. I am not sure I could put a price on that. It would be well over $50,000 per year. But honestly, good health is priceless.

If this keeps going, we are going to need our own forum like the DIR guys LOL As experienced rinsers, we know we are doing it right or it is RIR-- Rinsing It Right?

A couple more things. If you are afraid of tap water, you probably should not dive. There is more stuff living in lakes, ponds, rivers the ocean etc than there is in tap water. That water will get up your nose and in your ears when you dive

Second, if two deaths is enough to stop you, diving isn't for you again. More than two people died last year diving.

Also more people died driving cars last year through no fault or error of their own.

I am in kind of a ranty mood today. I will get off the soap box, but be warned it is a slow day at work and I might be back.

I have had sinus surgery, some 10+ years ago. Well worth it. I haven't touched a single antibiotic since, being able to combat colds & flus naturally with just standard medicine and lots of water & rest.

Before, OMG I would dread the winter months.

For the surgery, the first nostril is okay, your head is placed in a vice-grip, you can't move. The 2nd nostril is a major thing, knowing what's been done and how it hurt. Takes some stamina. The surgeon was patient and encouraging.

I'm convinced that I would be unable to dive without having had that surgery in my late 20's.

This has not been a stellar dive season for me. It seems I have had one sinus infection after another and it has kept me out of the water. Well one dive buddy told me to get on the bed with my head hanging back off the side and drip warm water mixed with sea salt in my nose until my sinus passages were full. Let that soak a minute and then flip over and let the crud come out on a towel.

Well the first time I did that, my buddy told me to make the stuff to strong and it burned the back of my eyes. And it took me a while to recover from the horror.

Then I was talking with someone else that does the same thing and they told me I had originally done it much too strong and that it is easier if you purchase a Nasaline giant nose syringe that holds the salt water to shoot it up your nose or to drip it in while you are on the bed with your head tipped back.

I have been doing this for a couple of weeks not and feel better than I have in months! I was scheduled to have sinus surgery and decided to put it off and give this a try. So far so good! I am only into this a couple of weeks.

It also seems that I can equalize a little easier.

So is anyone else doing this and has it improved your health? Your ability to equalize? Anything else? I was pretty skeptical, but it seems to be working.

Hey Mark,
Thanks for sharing your story. Some certainly need surgery and there is no way out of it. But I think a lot of people could also be perfectly fine with just rinsing. The vice thing does not sound fun.

A couple more things. If you are afraid of tap water, you probably should not dive. There is more stuff living in lakes, ponds, rivers the ocean etc than there is in tap water. That water will get up your nose and in your ears when you dive

Second, if two deaths is enough to stop you, diving isn't for you again. More than two people died last year diving.

Also more people died driving cars last year through no fault or error of their own.

I am in kind of a ranty mood today. I will get off the soap box, but be warned it is a slow day at work and I might be back.
Well said. It was because of this thread that I started rinsing. Have not anything more than an occasional sneeze in 2 years. I LOVE the sinus rinse and have recommend it to a lot of people. If someone is set off by two deaths, they might need to see the actual percentages of deaths vs. number of users and that would put in a better perspective. The fact that both deaths are in a generalized area says more about water quality than the action of rinsing. If you are unsure.. don't use tap water. Simple.

Not a good idea. The water could have a contaminant. 2 people in Louisiana just died from something like this using fresh water. The mucous is there for a reason- to prevent bacteria and viruses from infecting our bodies.
and if the mucus is there, it means that bacteria and viruses are trying to attack our body. Sinus rinse gets rid of all that gunk! My nose is very clean now, and I rarely have any stuffyness. If I do.. I rinse.. Ta da! Problem solved!

................As the next loads of saline are injected, I intermittently pinch the other nostril shut while saline is overflowing, thereby pressurizing my nasal passages and forcing saline into the semi-closed areas, such as sinuses and, possibly, eustachian tubes, which makes my ears pop. The air in those semi-closed areas is gradually replaced to some extent by saline. After injecting/irrigating 8-ounces of saline solution, I can actually hear it sloshing around when I shake my head. The saline continues to bathe those semi-closed passages while I finish my shower..........
Dave C

Although this might work for you, it should be mentioned that none of the manufacturers will recommend this. Over-pressurizing can cause serious damage, and knowing when you have surpassed that threshold is usually indicated by the pain associated with it.

Back
Top Bottom