Shore Dive recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there is anything such as a bad shore dive in Coz. :)

You are in Cozumel, you are in the water diving......cant go wrong with that!

I think just about anywhere there is iron shore, there is tons of "macro/micro" life to see. I can do a shore dive off of Papa Hogs pier and spend an hour just puttering around checking out all the little life and watching things and call it a great dive! Between all the baby/juvenile fish, crabs, eels etc....its fascinating to just "hover" and watch it.

So don't sweat finding the "best" shore dive, just about anywhere can be a good dive.

the area from the stingray enclosure down (south) to Papa Hogs (Villa Blanca Shallows), still isn't what it used to be, but again, if you take your time and hang out on one of the many small coral heads dotting the landscape, you will find a lot of interesting critters.
Has anyone swam out towards the yellow bouys? Is there a nice wall dive out there?
Is it even worth the trouble?:idk:
I have swam out about 15 or so minutes from the pen across a grassy area, but never have made it to "villablanca wall". The depth never got greater than 23-25'.

Sorry for the late response Nursediver, but we will be at BA the same week as you. Our first dive in 8 months will be a shore dive from BA in the afternoon on arrival day (Sat) to check out gear, etc. After that, we try to go out a few nights which are better IMO than daytime from shore. Patience pays off big as you will see octo, crabs, probably eels and other stuff not often seen during the day. Very relaxing, too.

Maybe you can join us.

Has anyone swam out towards the yellow bouys? Is there a nice wall dive out there?
Is it even worth the trouble?:idk:
I have swam out about 15 or so minutes from the pen across a grassy area, but never have made it to "villablanca wall". The depth never got greater than 23-25'.

I've done it a number of times but usually with a scooter. The wall is quite nice out there but you have to plan for getting back with the current. Of course, you can walk but it could be a long one..

I would typically leave from Blue Angel and depending on the current, I will either head straight out or into the current a bit if it is headed North. I usually turn the dive when I hit the yellow buoys, which marks an underwater cable, if memory serves. Next stop past is the new car ferry pier.. Not much to see under there.

So, if you have the air and don't mind the boring flats you will see on the way to the wall, it is a great dive! My favorite shore dive actually..

David

PS. It's about a 7 minute scooter ride to the wall (Cuda 650).. So, I'd call it at least a 15 minute swim.. Not quite as far coming back to shore once you hit the buoy(s).

Well, in California we usually dive here:

Date: 3/24/2011
Time: 10:00 am
Surf: 2-3ft
Surge: Moderate
Visibility: 6-8 ft
Temperature: Temp:57

and this is the entry..
shawspark2.jpg

Where as the BA shore dive is
Surf: 0
Surge: Minimal unless a boat goes by
Visibility: 80 feet+
Temp: 78
and this is the entry....
gopr0119.jpg

Nuff said!! Have Fun!

So where is that?

That's the shore dive entry at the Blue Angel resort with the infamous 'stingray pen/prison' on the left. Just remember to either come right back up the middle of the channel or surface out in the bay and find your way back. I made the mistake of thinking I was coming up the middle, but was actually on the shallow rocks right by the pen, and got thrashed and spined by urchins when a cruise ship wake kicked up a nice little wave.

There is certainly some risk to shore diving there, mostly with boat traffic around the dock and passing by further out - and Coz is not really a shore dive destination like Boaire, but it has plenty of other endearing aspects. I bet most divers never do a shore dive. After spending $1,000-2000 each on the trip, what's another $60 for a 2 tank boat trip?

Sure, it's there and tanks are free for customers, but they don't lose too much that way.

*makes note to bring wire cutters for his shore dive next to the stingray prison

:D

Back
Top Bottom