Shore dive sites, if you had to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stay at Scuba Club Cozumel - unlimited shore diving in front of the hotel.

We'll be at SCC next Feb and will definitely be doing a few shore dives. First one for sure to check buoyancy, but what exactly are the shore dives like at SCC ? Depth ? Is there much of a current ? Do you start south and drift back ? Is it mostly sand ? This will be out 5th trip to Coz so we're familiar with the currents and drift diving but have never done a shore dive on the island.

The water in front of SCC is 20 feet deep. The bottom is rocky, with some sand. There's a lot of concrete rubble and rock as artificial reef. If you move slowly and look for little stuff, there's lots of stuff to see. The current is normally running to the north. You start your dive into the current, moving slowly (you can't fight the ocean!) looking for little stuff. About two-thirds through your air supply, turn and drift back to the exit point. You can read about our trip and look at images (many taken in front of the hotel) by clicking on my webpage below.

pier.jpg

Both SCC and Fiesta Americana have shore diving.

Fiesta Americana shore diving is a bit gentler (except for the entry steps which can be very slippery). Sloped sandy bottom. Some debris where critters like to gather. Lots of juveniles. If you are using Dive House, you will want to figure out how to get tanks from them when they are staffing their shop - we ended up going on shore dives immediately after the morning boat since they had closed up tight tight the afternoons we tried. We weren't allowed to take out tanks overnight - although I have heard reports that others have been.

SCC is choppier with rough rocks and lots of surge near the swim-through entrance (unless they moved after they got farther into the after-Wilma-rebuild). There are more places for things to hide though - and I heard reports of octopus when I was there, and saw a larger lobster. Overnight checkout of tanks is very easy here - and they were open during all advertised hours so no problems with planning an afternoon dive and not being able to get tanks.

Both are either AI, or have AI options. SCC has a lower price for non-divers - I assume FA does, as well (but didn't personally verify it since I wasn't traveling with non-divers then).

I have a time share with Palace Resorts, so we always stay at thier resort just south of downtown. The bottom looks exactly like the photo in the previous post. There is enough structure around so that there is quite a bit to see. It is best at night. They have easy access and there is a dive shop on sight for tanks and weights. We just pick up a couple tanks during the day and place them into lockers they have just inside the door. We can then pick them up at our leisure and just give the guy the key to the locker when we are done and he picks the gear back up.

I saw the biggest barracuda I've ever seen across the street from the Casa del Mar on a night shore dive- he was just hanging under the dock....

The shore diving in front of Barracuda is ok, some stuff to see. Sometimes we jump in there if we arrive in town around noon and feel the urge to get wet before the next morning's boat dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom