Shore diving - fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can clip the spring straps too if I want, but don't because surf is not usually a problem. My fins are negative and expensive, but I still just hold the other one or pin it under my arm. I make sure the strap is set exactly right before donning each one. I did drop one about a month ago (no surf, some current). Immediately knew how much $ was down there. Took a while to locate it with one fin on searching. As I was right near shore, I had left the dive flag on the beach. Two little girls took it and stuck it in the sand WAY down the beach. An interesting day. "We looked for the owner" ( who was under water looking for the fin).

I am already using spring straps. I cannot hold the fin in my hand while putting the other one on. Just can't do it!

My arm will not fit through the fin strap, esp. with a drysuit on, nor with a wet suit either.

Basically I put my fins on one handed. In calm water, I stand on one foot and make a a figure 4 with my legs by bending the knee of the other leg. I have a fin in each hand and use the opposite hand to put the fin on. I grasp the spring strap with a couple of fingers and in pretty much one motion I jam my foot into the foot pocket and stretch the spring strap over my ankle (then repeat for the other foot). I am not as flexible with my left leg as with my right, and usually when in a dry suit, the figure 4 doesn't work that way, so for my left leg, I commonly flare it out to the side, and use my left hand to put on the fin.

I have never been shore diving in really rough surf, so can't really comment on that, but if there are waves big enough to knock me over standing on one foot, then I do the same process laying on the bottom breathing from my regulator.

Maybe it just takes some practice?

I already linked to this picture in your other thread, I think . . . But here is a simple gadget for clipping off fins through the surf that is used by my SoCal surf-diving friends:

KFKstrapRansomable.jpg

OK, I can get my fins on and off pretty well when shore diving but I have not found what to do with them when I'm putting one on or taking one off. There must be a usual solution. Giving one to my buddy while I put the other one on doesn't work very well as she is typically struggling to get hers on, too. Is there an easy place to clip one? I would only need to clip one, though if I could clip both it would be good for walking through the surf zone.

Thanks,

Bill

Has someone shown you the various ways you can put on your fins with one hand? I have seen all manner people do this (young, old, skinny, not so skinny). Unless there are some not so insignificant flexibility/joint issues, it should be something both you and your wife can learn.

Also, is there a reason you can't put fins on one person at a time? That way, one person can assist the other. (Though honestly, being able to put on your own fins one handed is the best way to go.)

TS&M's solution is cool but with proper technique, you should find such a thing more of a luxury rather than a necessity.

If it's rough, I'm going to walk backwards with mine on, from the shore. In S Fla, that's any time it's over flat conditions at a beach....This will work even in 6 foot seas. You may get knocked down, but you can always get back in control quickly....with them off, fall in a wave and you are hosed.

p.s.
If I can walk backward with 4 foot long freedive fins, you can walk backward with yours :)

I've not tried that here in S Cal, and skeptical it would work. Most beaches here are shallow and require a fair walk out before it gets deep enough to swim or to reach the surf break zone. My guess is that in high surf you'd get knocked down on your entry.

As far as the OP question, I just hold my fins one in each hand. It takes just one hand to don a fin once the water supports you and you're floating.

I've not tried that here in S Cal, and skeptical it would work. Most beaches here are shallow and require a fair walk out before it gets deep enough to swim or to reach the surf break zone. My guess is that in high surf you'd get knocked down on your entry.

As far as the OP question, I just hold my fins one in each hand. It takes just one hand to don a fin once the water supports you and you're floating.
I would be interested to hear the depth and distance norms for the area you are talking about...here in Palm Beach, fairly typical would be 4 feet deep about 50 feet to 100 feet from shore....then shallow sand bar, then maybe 5 to 10 feet in the next 25 feet....which is where the surfers would be if it was rough out...

I've walked backward into Shaw's Cove and Veteran's Park beaches before. When the surfs are up, I'd walk as close to the water as possible, don the fins then walk in backward until about maybe hip deep then turn around and kick like the dickens to get past the surf break area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom