Shore Diving in Curacao - exp. for gear rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full fin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I am planning on a trip to Curacao with two divers: me (quite experienced and have shore dove Curacao, bonaire, redsea, etc. before) and a friend (who will have no dives aside from his OW Certification just before trip).

Will I have trouble getting gear rental for my friend to shore dive with? My concern is some dive shops may require some # of dives to rent him gear.

Please note I am not looking to start a debate on how much experience is proper to go shore diving with an experienced buddy. FWIW, we are going to be on the easy, no current, shallow dives and I have been there and done lots of diving (just came back from a liveaboard in galapagos... so look forward to shedding some neoprene again!).

Thanks in advance for any help!

On the west end of island shore diving is very easy and getting gear is no trouble My wife and I were there 2 months ago and I made 2 to 3 shore dives a day .I have numerous dives under my belt but the access to the water is good and the diving is low or no current vis is about 60 ft

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

Shore diving is easy on the west end and currents are lite or not at all ,easy access to equipment and vis is 60 ft the reef starts off shore about 80 ft out runs the shoreline reef 30 to 90 ft drop:kiss2:

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 05:20 PM ----------

Shore diving is easy on the west end and currents are lite or not at all ,easy access to equipment and vis is 60 ft the reef starts off shore about 80 ft out runs the shoreline reef 30 to 90 ft drop:kiss2:

Thanks Tktaylor! This would be my second trip to curacao and I felt the same as you in terms of it being nice and easy, especially when you are toting a beginner with you.

I just wanted to make sure he could get equipment with a newly minted C-card :wink:

I've never heard of anyone, anywhere, refusing to rent gear to a diver. If anything, it's new divers who are more likely to need to rent gear.

I wouldn't be too specific about your plans/buddy's skill level at the shop with four locations.
The same one that won't rent to you to solo dive - even with a solo card.
I doubt even they will deny you but I'm sure you'll hear about it.

Damselfish, the issue is that we are renting gear to shore dive on our own. I am 100% sure the diveshop would rent him gear for him to go out guided with them on their normal dive trips. But my buddy being a newbie might be a good excuse for them to hassle us and demand he dive with them if he is to use their gear...

I've never heard of anyone, anywhere, refusing to rent gear to a diver. If anything, it's new divers who are more likely to need to rent gear.

I was there about three years ago with a couple friends. One had to rent nearly everything, and used the Dive Bus. We also rented some other stuff from them on and off during the week (lights, etc.) I believe that she filled out a waiver - which would likely include the question of number of dives - but I don't recall them commenting on it. I think it would be a safe bet to assume they would rent to your friend (especially considering he/she will be with you). You could always email them ahead of time to ask, or (I'm not sure of the liability of this) you could rent all of it in your name, therefore taking responsibility for it.

Back
Top Bottom