Shore Diving in Okinawa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Masuku

New
Reaction score
Hello- We are planning a trip to Okinawa this October and starting some research on diving there.
We both have NAUI licenses, my bf has done a few more dives than me, including Boat Dives, but I have only done Shore Diving. The major reason being that I have major motion sickness. We also both speak Japanese, so we aren't limited to Dive Shops that have English speakers.
Does anybody has any information on below questions?

1) Are there good Shore Diving locations in Okinawa on the main island? If so, which ones do people recommend?
- Is it common to be able to just walk into a shop, rent gear & tanks, and go out to a Shore Diving spot w/ just you and a buddy? Or are they going to have to have an instructor come with us?
- If the boat dive spots are significantly better, which ones do people recommend that would be a short boat ride away? (5-10 min?)
- We will be taking a flight from Naha to Ishigaki and staying for a few nights, so also wondering if there are any shore dive points there?

2) I am interested in diving around the Kerama Islands, but am afraid of how seasick I will get from the 1 hour boat ride to get there.
Especially when I read that most diving boats do not dock and stay in the water during surface intervals. But even if we were to stay a few nights in Kerama, are there any good shore diving spots? Or are they mainly all boat diving sites?

3) This is not related to diving, but does anybody know good areas for Windsurfing where there are also rental shops?

4) Once we get a better idea of our dive schedules, we are planning where to stay based on that... but if anybody has any places to stay that are highly recommended, please let us know.

Thanks!!

Masuku,
I just returned from a 4 year stent on Okianwa. It is where I learned open water through technical diving. Okinawa is ALL SHORE DIVING!!! and phenomenal shore diving at that.

Here is a map of all the dive sites http://diver74.tripod.com/smdivemap.jpg. Anyone who dives will be able to give you better directions. Reef Encounters seems to be the main "English" dive shop. You mentioned you do speak Japanese, so that will open up more dive shops for you.

The dive sites you are going to want to hit up are: (1) Sunabe Seawall - max 50-60 ft, lots of hard and soft coral, vis depends on recent weather but will be around 40-60ft (2) Maeda Point - Wall dive if you go to the left, depth 85-130+ft. If you go to the right its hard coral, 30-100+ft.

I can give you a whole lot more information about the dive sites, but honestly, its easy to find and dive. With the summer winds from the south-south east it will be pretty flat on the west side (where most of the diving is) and the only thing you will have to worry about are typhoons and rain.

There are lots of good shore dives on Okinawa and a couple shops that rent gear and tanks without have to hire a guide. The diving in the Keramas is very different and varied from the shore diving off the main island and worth the trip. Sea sickness meds should solve the problem of getting a bit queasy.
In Ishigaki it will be much harder to arrange for shore diving as almost everything is boat diving there. Tank rental in the Keramas is also a bit difficult to find without hiring the local guide.
There are some good spots that are not too far out also for boat dives, Chibisihi drift dives are only about 30 minutes out as sites such as dream hole and others are also very close.
There is windsurfing on the main island of Okinawa off the west coast- not sure of rental shops but I am sure there are some near the popular points.

Good to know that there is enough shore diving there.
What would be the recommended area to stay if we are mostly there for scuba diving?
We are trying to find a place that's more of a condo rental, rather than a big resort hotel. Any suggestions?

from Sunabe to Onana located on the west coast has several low fee hotels but I must remind you that they are really no thrills. But, the best diving is deep south on the east coast. But on the other hand with the island being so small you can reach any dive site in about an hour depending on traffic. My advice, start at Sunabe seawall at Junkyards going more to the right after you get to about 30", next take on Maeda point...very fun but get there early because there is a lot of training that goes on there and it packs out fast, ready for a real challenge try Horse Shoe...a sheer wall that gets deep very fast but watch the weather real well it blows out fast, next try your hand at Bolo Point (also you want to check out the light house and do the walk around the park). Bolo demands a lot of respect and you can get you ass handed to you real fast there but what a great dive that includes bombs, sharks, very deep, caves etc. Have fun!
Almost forgot, if they still have it then please do the Whale shark dive...one of the best dives I have had with friends...bring a camera!

Beachside condos in Araha or Hamagawa Lodge are both good options centrally located.

You did not mention if you have any military access, I doubt it since you are looking to stay in town, but just in case you have access you should know that the base dive shops have excellent prices for rental gear and decent retail prices too. If you don't have access (and if things have not changed since my last visit) you may want to check out the Kadena Marina dive shop since it is not actually located on the base.
On a side note lots of divers get motion sickness to varying degrees, I always take some sort of meds when I'm going on a boat, just to be safe. I have a prescription for the Scopalamine patch, it's easy to get, just make clear to your doctor that you've tried Dramamine/TripTone/Bonine and they are not working for you. You have to put it on well before you get on the boat but since it lasts like 72 hours you can put it on the night before.
One other thing, I have not directly dealt with the Japanese dive shops but just from observing their operations there as well as here in Hawaii they seem to do things a lot differently so you probably want to research the differences between them and say Kadena or other operations that cater to Americans, just so you don't have any unwanted surprises. Specifically it seems like the Japanese shops charge a lot more, they favor smaller tanks (72s and even 63s) and cap customers' dive times. YMMV
I also recommend the whale shark dive; again I think it's at least worth calling Torii Station for info vice just going with the Japanese shops. Why? The Japanese op I went with does the dive several times a day, but they have a certain time that's reserved for Americans. As I watched the boat come into the dock it was full of Japanese divers, but when it was my turn to board I was the only diver for my time slot! It was just me and the DM in the water with two whale sharks and it was awesome! The boat ride is quite short for this.
Couple of final notes, the water can be super warm in the summer but personally I favored a full wetsuit and gloves, figured this out after scraped up by coral a few times. Or at least a polypro bodysuit. And you absolutely want the felt-bottom booties!! You inevitably end up walking over rocky areas on your shore entries and there are urchins everywhere!

Very well put Gunrock. The wife and my two daughters are over there right now...and I had to stay here due to a job change. Damn I wish I was there. When were you there? Military?

Yeah Tony I was a Marine, there in 2002-2003, and luckily got to go back as a contractor in 2009-2010, which is when I finally did the whale shark dive. Would gladly go back again if I could.

Highjack! Highjack! Gunrock who were you with, branch, location etc. As for me 1984-1988 then again 1999-2003. Marine Corps, 1st MAW, MALS-36, power plants. Dive buddy / instructor R. Zimmerman (no relation to the Zimmerman on trial).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom